Please Get New Forum Software

Posted by: TromboneAl

Please Get New Forum Software - 05/21/13 02:01 PM

I like the community here, but every few months I try to find a piano forum with better forum software.

I frequent about six different forums,

Bicycling
Jazz
Diet
Cooking
Early retirement
Wood Heating
Piano World

Compared to the others, Piano World is about 10 years behind in technology and convenience.

The biggest inconvenience is that the forum does a bad job of knowing which posts you've already viewed. All the other forums have a button by each thread that allows me to pick up where I left off.

Other forums show a popup with the text of the first post in a thread -- a real time saver.

Other forums are much more readable also.

For example, check out: http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/

I hope that helps. At some point, you will lose members because the forum isn't convenient.
Posted by: daniokeeper

Re: Please Get New Forum Software - 06/10/13 08:15 PM

I don't really mind that the software is old. I do wish the web-site would a little differently with my browser.
(SeaMonkey v2.17.1 on Debian 6.0.7 32-bit)
Browser versions and distros don't seem to matter. The behavior is the same.

When I leave PW to go to another site, I need to triple-click the address bar to completely highlight it so I can type a new address, rather than just double-clicking. If I just double-click, "Tuner-Technicians Forum.html" remains in the address field, messing up the new address, which I then have to retype, after double-clicking again.

PW is the only site that behaves this way with my browser.
Posted by: Enochy

Re: Please Get New Forum Software - 11/06/13 12:12 AM

I do like this idea. It might be just me, but I get confused with how things work in these type of forums since I'm used to more of a modern theme. For example, vBulletin or myBB are really good ones.