In over my head

Posted by: VivaceGirl

In over my head - 06/29/05 06:41 PM

Hello,

I am a pianist and piano teacher who also plays a little cello. I am often asked if I give cello lessons, too, as I play in a quartet and live in an area where cello teachers are extremely rare.

I usually dodge these potential students by telling them that I am truly a pianist and more comfortable and knowledgeable about teaching piano. Over the years, however, I picked up a couple people whom I was unable to say "no" to.

This situation got worse 3 years ago, when a cello teacher here moved away and left a studio of 50 students with nowhere to go. I accepted a small number of these students and gave them a big lecture warning them of my limitations.

The problem is, I have one student who is getting to be a bit advanced (Suzuki Book 6) and I am starting to feel very uncomfortable teaching her. In fact, I feel I cannot truly give her a very valuable lesson. I can only offer mere pointers, really.

There is really no other teacher in town to transfer her to. One is even less accomplished than I, and the others within driving distance have LONG waiting lists.

Any advice from you teachers on how to handle this predicament?

Thanks!
Posted by: Ancient Upright

Re: In over my head - 07/06/05 12:11 PM

Oops, I'm not a teacher, but I seen that no one had replied. My advice is to be honest with her, tell her that she has advanced to the point where you aren't going to be able to help her as much.

And why is this in the new feature requests forum?