Prevent old threads from being revived

Posted by: whippen boy

Prevent old threads from being revived - 04/18/06 03:43 PM

I think it would be nice if a thread more than 3 months or so would be automatically [/b] locked from further input.

If people really want to refer to it, they can embed a link to the old thread into a new post.

There have been a lot of dead thread revivals lately - it can be very confusing (people thought Piqué was shopping for a piano again)!

Some folks took the time to contribute opinions & advice on another thread, when the rebuilding project actually ended a couple years ago.

It is so easy to overlook the dates of all the posts. Locking the old threads would help. \:\)
Posted by: tenuki

Re: Prevent old threads from being revived - 04/18/06 03:49 PM

+1
Posted by: OperaTenor

Re: Prevent old threads from being revived - 04/19/06 02:42 AM

That might not sit too well in the technician's forum, IMO. Sometimes a piano project may take a long time between steps in the process, even months.

If I had a thread on rebuilding my player(which I plan on doing in the future), get in the middle of it and find the thread locked up while I was spending a long time rebuilding the stack, I'd have to say I'd find it pretty annoying.

Just my 2¢...
Posted by: Matthew Collett

Re: Prevent old threads from being revived - 09/02/06 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by whippen boy:
I think it would be nice if a thread more than 3 months or so would be automatically [/b] locked from further input.

[...]

It is so easy to overlook the dates of all the posts. Locking the old threads would help. \:\) [/b]
I'll inconsistently revive this more-than-three-months-old thread to enter another plea for the same: we've just had a five year[/b] old thread bubble up on the Piano Forum. Perhaps three months since the last post might be a little tight, but anything that hasn't been touched for say, six months, should need a fresh thead. It would avoid all the accidental resuscitations, and it's still easy for anyone who genuinely wants to restart the topic to begin with with a link back to the old one.

Best wishes,
Matthew
Posted by: Piano*Dad

Re: Prevent old threads from being revived - 09/04/06 09:19 PM

As one of those who fell into that FIVE year old thread ...

I would be happy to see old threads locked. There is no reason to have the time to locking be the same on all forums.
Posted by: virtuoso418

Re: Prevent old threads from being revived - 10/17/06 02:43 PM

i think this rule should be applied to the pianist corner at least for now. There is no reason to bring up month-old threads concerning the pianist's corner topics.
Posted by: quantumm

Re: Prevent old threads from being revived - 10/21/06 08:49 PM

Another option is to introduce some sort of flag for threads that are x amount of months old. That way if someone does revive it, readers will have a warning before hand that it is an old post.

Maybe also an additional warning near the reply box.
Posted by: Supply

Re: Prevent old threads from being revived - 02/24/07 11:38 PM

How about only the original thread originator being able to revive the thread?
Posted by: Supply

Re: Prevent old threads from being revived - 02/24/07 11:41 PM

SORRY!!

I just realized this thread was dead, or at least moribund. Didn't mean to do the opposite of what I say.
Posted by: Fraggle

Re: Prevent old threads from being revived - 03/06/07 05:55 AM

The thread starter can just edit the topic with `resolved` or `completed` or somesuch, that`s what`s generally done on other forums I visit.
Posted by: Akira

Re: Prevent old threads from being revived - 11/20/07 05:06 PM

Quote:
There have been a lot of dead thread revivals lately - it can be very confusing (people thought Piqué was shopping for a piano again)!
I think it can be equally confusing to have multiple threads on the same subject. For example, I count 81 Hanon related threads. For someone to is interested in the subject, they're all over the place.

Quote:
There is no reason to bring up month-old threads concerning the pianist's corner topics.
I can think of one -- somebody wants to add something to the conversation. \:\)

A forum, by its very nature, is an implied invitation for members to have a conversion or discussion. Unless a moderator chooses to close it, that invitation is always an open one.