Help with G/B Slash Chord

Posted by: Cashley

Help with G/B Slash Chord - 03/24/10 11:16 AM

I have come across many songs with G/B slash chord.

Does anyone know the origin of a G/B slash chord ? It doesn't seem to fit into any of the 7th, 9th or 11th chords permutations I know.
Posted by: R0B

Re: Help with B/G Slash Chord - 03/24/10 11:26 AM

Are you sure it is not a Bm/G chord?

This would be G in the bass, and B,D,F#

A B/G would be G in the bass, and B,D#, F# (not a pleasing sound)

Re: Help with B/G Slash Chord - 03/24/10 11:31 AM

I'm very sure it's G/B. It's not B/G.

Re: Help with B/G Slash Chord - 03/24/10 11:43 AM

Hmmm... Your original, unedited post, stated a B/G chord.

Hence my original reply.

A G/B chord is simply a B in the bass, and G,B,D, or one of it's inversions. Normally, B,D,G suits this chord.
Posted by: J.A.S

Re: Help with B/G Slash Chord - 03/24/10 11:45 AM

Originally Posted By: Cashley

While I'm by no means an expert in pop-music chords, it seems to me that G/B is the G major chord with B as the bass note, i.e. the 1st inversion of the G chord.

Edit: R0B, we were typing at the same time, you are faster smile

Posted by: beeboss

Re: Help with B/G Slash Chord - 03/24/10 11:48 AM

G/B is G major 1st inversion

but in the subject line you said B/G

that would be like a G maj 7 sharp 5 chord

(very pleasing in my opinion)

hope that helps

Re: Help with B/G Slash Chord - 03/24/10 11:53 AM

I know it's the 1st inversion of G major.

But isn't it strange to play note B as bass ?

Re: Help with B/G Slash Chord - 03/24/10 12:03 PM

I know it's the 1st inversion of G major.

But isn't it strange to play note B as bass ?

Not if the next chord is a C major root position, or an Am7.

It is a common progression.

Try playing a Bass A, in the left hand, and the notes, A,C,E,G an octave higher, in the right hand, then,a bass B, with B,D,G in the right hand, then a bass C, with C,E,G in the right, and you will see/hear how the G/B fits in.
Posted by: TimR

Re: Help with B/G Slash Chord - 03/24/10 12:31 PM

Originally Posted By: J.A.S

While I'm by no means an expert in pop-music chords, it seems to me that G/B is the G major chord with B as the bass note, i.e. the 1st inversion of the G chord.

Edit: R0B, we were typing at the same time, you are faster smile

However, you and Rob didn't say precisely the same thing. Your reply suggests that G/B IS the 1st inversion, while Rob merely says there is a B in the bass AND a G chord in some inversion.

It makes a difference because that first inversion played low enough on the keyboard sounds muddy, whereas a higher G chord played above the same B is no problem.

I had never heard of slash chords until I started playing with a praise and worship band, and had to look them up. A much better classically trained player who helped out wasn't familiar with them either. But we played mostly lead sheets, full of slash chords. I started out interpreting them as a guide to the inversion, but that didn't always work out that well. With my meager skills, close position chords were easier, but didn't sound good. If I didn't have to play melody (depended on who was singing) it could sound better to have the chord in the right hand and the slash in the left.
Posted by: Kreisler

Re: Help with B/G Slash Chord - 03/24/10 01:50 PM

A quick comment:

Slash notation shows inversion, and all inversion tells you is which note is on the bottom.

Slash notation does not show voicing. You can see G/B and play 3 notes, or you can see G/B and play 12 notes. Those notes all need to be Gs, Bs, and Ds, but as long as the lowest one is a B, it's a G/B chord.

Voicing is an art unto itself. How many notes you use, how far apart they are, how they're distributed across the keyboard and between the hands all have a great effect on the sound. Two different players could both play a G/B chord but get two completely different sounds.

To complicate matters, sometimes people will refer to the inversion played in one hand or the other. For example, if the LH is playing a G but the RH is playing DGB, then someone might refer to it as a 2nd inversion chord (played by the RH) when in fact the chord is in root position (when you think of both hands together.)

Re: Help with B/G Slash Chord - 03/25/10 04:59 AM

Kreisler, I see you are a moderator.

The subject of this thread is "Help with G/B Slash Chord", but the replies are "Re: Help with B/G Slash Chord".

From another post above I understand that the OP, at some time after submitting the opening post, modified not only its body, but also its subject, which led to some confusion.

But in the FAQ, there is this rule: "Once there's been a reply, the topic subject cannot be subsequently changed."

Would you care to explain?
Posted by: Kreisler

Re: Help with B/G Slash Chord - 03/25/10 08:40 AM

I'm not sure what the FAQ is referencing, but I think it's an old software limitation that's since been remedied.

Re: Help with B/G Slash Chord - 03/25/10 08:55 AM

Originally Posted By: Kreisler
I'm not sure what the FAQ is referencing, but I think it's an old software limitation that's since been remedied.

It's in the item "Why is a post's subject so important?" in the FAQ section near the top right corner of this very page.

Thanks for the answer. Would it be possible to review and update the FAQ?