letter of recommendation

Posted by: Ann in Kentucky

letter of recommendation - 10/23/10 12:31 PM

I just had a parent ask for a letter of recommendation for their child. The girl is 6 and has had one year of piano lessons with me. The family is moving to Singapore and want the letter to help them get their child into a good school.

Has anyone written a letter of recommendation for a student? Any suggestions? Thanks.
Posted by: david_a

Re: letter of recommendation - 10/23/10 12:34 PM

Say only good or neutral things. If there's anything negative to say, omit mention of that altogether.

Re: letter of recommendation - 10/23/10 02:28 PM

Thanks for your response david. Yes I only have positive things to say...but can't think of much to say other than she is eager to learn, focused during lessons, a pleasure to work with. Makes for a short letter.

Is a letter of recommendation generally in type, hand written, or sent by e-mail in Word document? Initially I just thought, I'd hand write a letter...then thought it would be better to be typed. And then occurred to me that maybe I should send a word document to the parent and he can forward it if needed.

I'll probably just do a word document and print it. When I see the parent next week I can see if he wants the document e-mailed to him.

I was surprised that a 6 year old would need to compete to get into a good school. I've heard of this sort of thing.
Posted by: michiganteacher

Re: letter of recommendation - 10/23/10 02:36 PM

There are a lot of templates and samples online. These have really helped me when I've written letters of recommendation before.

Just google "recommendation letter sample" and there should be plenty of options!
Posted by: AZNpiano

Re: letter of recommendation - 10/23/10 03:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Ann in Kentucky
I was surprised that a 6 year old would need to compete to get into a good school.

That does sound crazy. Is this a school for the extremely gifted and talented??? And elementary school, no less.
Posted by: tdow

Re: letter of recommendation - 10/23/10 03:43 PM

Feel free to use whatever parts of this one I just wrote suit you! My student was 13, so it may need to be adjusted. Hope this helps.

To Whom it May Concern:

Our studio has had the privilege of having Josie Wright as a student for over three years. During this time I have gotten to know Josie and her family quite well – and am thrilled to act as a reference for her.

As teacher at our studio, I see Josie every week during the school year. She is always prepared for her lessons, listens well, is extremely polite, and is a student who really takes the suggestions I give to her and ensures that she puts them into practice during her time at home. She progresses quickly, learns fast and plays with an innate sense of musicality that is often not found in students her age.

Josie’s connection to music is something that I hope will continue throughout her teenage years. She has a natural ability to take a song and make it her own. She has participated in all of our studio’s recitals every year and always performs to the best of her ability in a way that really touches members of the audience with her music.

Students at *studio name* not only learn to read music and to play the piano in a technically correct way, but they also learn to compose their own pieces on a weekly basis. Josie really shines in this aspect with compositions that are unique and thoughtful. Her family ensures that she participates in our extra activities (such as theme month concerts), and as a result she has become a very well-rounded musician.

I would not hesitate to recommend Josie for acceptance to *school name*. She would be a wonderful asset to your student population and would truly be a fantastic representation of a well-rounded, well-liked student.

Re: letter of recommendation - 10/23/10 03:44 PM

Thanks Jessica, I'll try that.

AZN, I don't know, the father just said they wanted to get their daughter "into a good school". The family is originally from the area and maybe they are just going in extra prepared.

Re: letter of recommendation - 10/23/10 03:45 PM

tdow,
Thanks!! I must have been posting when you were. Your letter is a BIG help! smile

Re: letter of recommendation - 10/23/10 03:54 PM

tdow,
I've composed the letter and thanks to you I was able to get three paragraphs instead of three sentences! Sounds great! smile
Posted by: Frozenicicles

Re: letter of recommendation - 10/23/10 03:58 PM

I've heard that the school system is quite competitive in Singapore. They start dividing kids up based on intelligence/achievement quite early, and it's hard to compete if you don't get into a good school early on.

Re: letter of recommendation - 10/23/10 04:16 PM

Just wanted to say thank you to the two people who sent me thoughtful private messages and offered help composing the letter. I've got it composed, but I still appreciate your help. What a supportive community here on PW!
Posted by: tdow

Re: letter of recommendation - 10/23/10 04:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Ann in Kentucky
tdow,
Thanks!! I must have been posting when you were. Your letter is a BIG help! smile

No problem at all! Glad it helped smile

Re: letter of recommendation - 10/23/10 06:22 PM

I sent a copy of the letter to the parent, saying I plan to print and sign it. He e-mailed back saying thanks and "This is wonderful!" Yea! You guys made me look like a good letter writer! smile