Walking Bassline Clinic with Dave Frank now free on Youtube

Posted by: davefrank

Walking Bassline Clinic with Dave Frank now free on Youtube - 01/19/11 10:00 PM

Hello friends, I chord-ially invite you to enjoy my *new* free Walking Bassline Clinic, located at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyRdNAMfYH4

Included are detailed discussions/demonstrations of:

Beginning bassline techniques
Advanced Bassline Tehcniques
How to learn to improvise a walking bassline and a RH line
Two new performances by Dave.

I PROMISE a very good time for nuttin'!

Blessings and keep swingin:)

Dave Frank
NYC
Posted by: DaveRobertsJazz

Re: Walking Bassline Clinic with Dave Frank now free on Youtube - 02/09/13 08:31 PM

Great stuff, Dave, thanks for doing these. I learned a lot and it's very inspirational.

I just have a few suggestions if you'll consider doing a seventh video.

1) Show various approaches to playing 3/4 bass lines. Perhaps you did, but I don't recall it. If you want to get advanced you could also show 5/4 bass lines or other time signatures.

2) Show approaches to playing Latin bass lines, particularly bossa.

3) Discuss the harmonic/scalar rules of bass lines. In other words, what bass notes can/should you play on a major chord, a minor chord, dominant, etc.?

I assume you want to stay in the key implied by each chord. Or is that necessary? Is it OK to play just about anything as long as you land on the chord root on a regular basis or outline the chord now and then?

And when can you deviate from the key? For example, the leading tone to the next chord is OK, although it's out of the key. Are there other exceptions?

Thanks again.
Posted by: Myeo

Re: Walking Bassline Clinic with Dave Frank now free on Youtube - 02/15/13 09:55 PM

Hello, I'm new here smile and definitely will check your channel as I arrive home.