Piano World Home Page
Posted By: pianogirl1978 Beginner books for 12 year old? - 06/20/11 03:37 AM
I was wondering if you all could tell me what books you use for older beginners from about age 12 through adult? He plays the flute, but has no piano experience the mother tells me and I am meeting with them in a few days. Thanks.
Posted By: dumdumdiddle Re: Beginner books for 12 year old? - 06/20/11 04:25 AM
Mmm... Piano Adventures Accelerated (for the older beginner).
Posted By: AZNpiano Re: Beginner books for 12 year old? - 06/20/11 07:19 AM
Find out if the student is proficient at reading the treble clef. You might be able to accelerate his learning.

I recently acquired a "new" piano student in a similar situation (with a different primary instrument). You might want to supplement the student with a lot of instruction on reading the bass clef. I had my student do pieces that have both hands in bass clef. I also made some worksheets that drilled L.H. playing.

The student breezed through Piano Adventures Level 1 in less than a month.
Posted By: opusmusic Re: Beginner books for 12 year old? - 06/20/11 11:31 PM
You could try Bastien Older Beginner Piano Course, Accelerated Piano Adventures for the Older Beginner, or Alfred's Piano Lesson Book for the Later Beginner. You could also try using the standard beginning piano books, and the student can probably move faster than average. Hope this helps.
Posted By: pianoeagle Re: Beginner books for 12 year old? - 06/21/11 03:15 AM
Alfred Method for the Later Beginner, supplemented by the Keith Snell Repertoire Series, has worked well with my current 11-year old beginner.
Posted By: timtopham Re: Beginner books for 12 year old? - 06/24/11 08:12 AM
Try Alfred's "Piano for Busy Teens" Books - great series and kids reckon it's cool which is always a good start for a 12 yo boy!
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums