Piano Teachers - Show Us Your Stuff!

Posted by: Lauren Thompson

Piano Teachers - Show Us Your Stuff! - 10/09/12 07:21 PM

Hi everyone!

Anyone interested in sharing organizational ideas for teaching spaces?

Clavier Companion magazine is looking for photos of interesting teaching spaces for a feature in the Jan/Feb 2013 issue.

Of specific interest are photos showing efficient and creative uses of small teaching spaces.
You can submit photos to editor@claviercompanion.com, and the deadline for submission is October 22nd.

If selected, photos will be printed with a brief caption in the Jan/Feb issue.
Posted by: Piano World

Re: Piano Teachers - Show Us Your Stuff! - 10/11/12 01:52 PM

Come on teachers, I'm sure some of you have interesting ideas.
Here's a chance to get your studio featured in a national magazine.
Posted by: Minniemay

Re: Piano Teachers - Show Us Your Stuff! - 10/11/12 06:23 PM

Sent mine in yesterday!
Posted by: Crayola

Re: Piano Teachers - Show Us Your Stuff! - 10/11/12 11:23 PM

Sending mine in now!
Posted by: missbelle

Re: Piano Teachers - Show Us Your Stuff! - 10/20/12 09:04 PM

Mine is a rolling cart with an auto exec. large carry bag.
I travel to school and teach in different rooms.
not ideal, but works for now.
Posted by: Liezl Tajanlangit

Re: Piano Teachers - Show Us Your Stuff! - 06/26/13 05:02 PM

How about home service teaching but wanting to be able to have lots of books with good pieces, sight reading books for different levels, activity worksheets, etc... these don't fit in a bag and the ones I have now is not enough but is already too heavy frown

Want to have all these so I will always be prepared.
Posted by: judyfholmes

Re: Piano Teachers - Show Us Your Stuff! - 08/21/13 01:11 AM

You don't need lots of book for learning any instrument especially piano, just requires dedication and sheet music with you and you are ready to go.
Posted by: Alan Lai

Re: Piano Teachers - Show Us Your Stuff! - 10/18/13 08:36 AM

Originally Posted By: judyfholmes
You don't need lots of book for learning any instrument especially piano,

Patently wrong.
Posted by: Gary D.

Re: Piano Teachers - Show Us Your Stuff! - 10/18/13 03:57 PM

Originally Posted By: judyfholmes
You don't need lots of book for learning any instrument especially piano, just requires dedication and sheet music with you and you are ready to go.

Sort of like who needs books to learn how to read...
Posted by: KurtZ

Re: Piano Teachers - Show Us Your Stuff! - 10/19/13 01:29 PM

"I guess there are never enough books" John Steinbeck

My favorite writer but I digress. Many a poor teacher may have shelves of books but not all teachers with shelves and shelves are poor teachers. A sushi chef makes art with one knife and a bamboo mat. The master baker has 16 kinds of bowls, 8 kinds of trays, 4 kinds of whisks, 3 kinds of mixers and 2 thermometers. Who is the more skilled artisan? I'll try their wares instead of counting their tools.

Kurt
Posted by: keystring

Re: Piano Teachers - Show Us Your Stuff! - 10/19/13 01:45 PM

Looking at the books issue
Originally Posted By: Liezl Tajanlangit
How about home service teaching but wanting to be able to have lots of books with good pieces, sight reading books for different levels, activity worksheets, etc... these don't fit in a bag and the ones I have now is not enough but is already too heavy frown

Want to have all these so I will always be prepared.

Since to opening post is asking for photos of teaching spaces, I think that Liezl is asking about the lot of teachers who travel to homes. Those teachers need to take their books with them - what arrangement have traveling teachers come up with these? I can sort of relate to that question because I have traveled as a tutor, and as "the French teacher" in public school, I also had to wheel my trolley of stuff to two classrooms including up a set of stairs. The logistics of carrying your stuff with you and how to organize "your stuff" is not a trivial thing.

The idea that no books are needed seemed odd. Liezl listed examples of things she uses. How would anyone teach music without any reading material whatsoever?