Switching from Bastien to Faber?

Posted by: pianogirl1978

Switching from Bastien to Faber? - 10/10/12 02:45 PM

I have been teaching a 6 year old boy for about 9 months now and I have been teaching out of the Bastien Primer book. I now realize that I am not going to teach Bastien's method to this student anymore because he is a very slow learner and it moves too fast for him. Also, mom mentioned something now his older brother has ADD and is homeschooled and she is worried that my student also has ADD. We have just finished the Primer book and he seems to finally be "getting it" a little more, but still is having trouble reading any notes on the staff. I think he has finally realized that when the notes go up on the staff then he goes to the right. However, I don't want to move him to Level 1 just yet. Think I may go to the Faber series. What level would you recommend? 1A? 2A?
Posted by: AZNpiano

Re: Switching from Bastien to Faber? - 10/10/12 03:08 PM

Try Hal Leonard. I've found it to move at a more leisurely pace, which may be just right for some students. I haven't used it in a few years, but I remember using it for some of my slower students and they liked it.

Maybe it's because I've heard too much Faber in the last five years...
Posted by: pianogirl87

Re: Switching from Bastien to Faber? - 10/10/12 03:23 PM

I had a few transfer students who were in the Young Beginner series by Bastien. I did switch them both to Faber (one I put in PA book 1 and the other in 2A), and they both did fine. The songs were longer, but they were able to adapt pretty easily. I think it comes down to what your student can handle. One needed some review, so I put him in 1, while the other didn't need to review as much, so she went to 2A.
Posted by: PApianoteacher

Re: Switching from Bastien to Faber? - 10/10/12 05:50 PM

I've started using Alfred's Basic Piano Prep series with my slower students. There is a lot of supplemental material available to go with it to stretch things out if you need to spend more time at one level before moving to another.
Posted by: Stanny

Re: Switching from Bastien to Faber? - 10/10/12 07:24 PM

My slower students do better in the Faber method and the music is quite enjoyable.
Posted by: kayvee

Re: Switching from Bastien to Faber? - 10/10/12 07:28 PM

Originally Posted By: PApianoteacher
I've started using Alfred's Basic Piano Prep series with my slower students. There is a lot of supplemental material available to go with it to stretch things out if you need to spend more time at one level before moving to another.

Alfred's Premier Series would be much better than the Basic Library (which usually results in 'position' playing).

Hal Leonard, Piano Adventures, Alfred Premier...I don't think you could go wrong with any of them, but I agree with AZNpiano - Hal Leonard moves at the most comforting pace.