a very gifted pupil has too little hands

Posted by: antonia

a very gifted pupil has too little hands - 12/08/12 01:20 PM

A very gifted pupil has too little hands. She is 10 years old and she is in the 4th year of study. I am so sorry for her. I tried exercises with diminished seventh arpeggio.
Please, Could anybody suggest some exercises for that purpose? Thank you.
Posted by: apple*

Re: a very gifted pupil has too little hands - 12/08/12 03:00 PM

she is ten...they will grow! I really like consecutive arpeggios for teaching.
Posted by: AZNpiano

Re: a very gifted pupil has too little hands - 12/08/12 08:27 PM

There are no exercises that will "cure" small hands. If you try to stretch those hands, you might end up injuring the student. Why would you want to do that?

Just let the student's hands develop naturally.
Posted by: Michael_99

Re: a very gifted pupil has too little hands - 12/08/12 08:42 PM

Think of all your students, it usually isn't small hands that destroy's a child's chances of being the best pianist on the planet. It is the lack of practice, lack of joy, lack of dedication, lack of commitment, lack of a good teacher, a lack of good supportive parents and not being gifted, not having good hearing, not having good health, not having a smart brain. One deficit of tiny hands in a child is the least of their worries on a very long journey lasting 10 to 40 years.

Re: a very gifted pupil has too little hands - 12/09/12 08:42 AM

Thank you for the answer. I appreciate it and I think of it. I have little hands and I suffered a lot (even now)

Re: a very gifted pupil has too little hands - 12/09/12 08:44 AM

I appreciate your answer, thank you. You are right
Posted by: Acca

Re: a very gifted pupil has too little hands - 12/09/12 08:50 PM

Did you see this ? crazy

Sometimes it's possible to overcome limitations... grin
Posted by: Barb860

Re: a very gifted pupil has too little hands - 12/10/12 10:17 PM

Originally Posted By: AZNpiano
There are no exercises that will "cure" small hands. If you try to stretch those hands, you might end up injuring the student. Why would you want to do that?

Just let the student's hands develop naturally.

Absolutely. A professor of mine had very small hands (Asian lady) and she is a magnificent pianist.
Posted by: AZNpiano

Re: a very gifted pupil has too little hands - 12/11/12 03:40 AM

Originally Posted By: Barb860
Absolutely. A professor of mine had very small hands (Asian lady) and she is a magnificent pianist.

There is a wealth of piano repertoire for people with small hands. They may not be able to play Chopin, Liszt, or Rachmaninoff, but there's plenty of Mozart, Haydn, and Bach that they can play.

What irks me is that there are teachers who continue to assign big pieces to kids with small hands. TWICE this year I've heard kids play pieces with overtly simplified octaves (playing the top line in lieu of the parallel octave passages). Do they seriously think people can't tell the difference between parallel octaves and a single-note line?