Probably a daft question but...

Posted by: Toadny

Probably a daft question but... - 12/20/12 11:21 AM

I learned piano to grade 1 when I was around 7 years of age, I was taught by my Aunt Dorothy.

There was a tune in one of the books we used that I would love to play again. The problem is, all I know about the tune is that it had the word "garden" in the title. "In a (something) garden" maybe (but not a monastery garden).

I believe all the tunes in the book were by the same author, I would guess it was first pubished in the 50s or 60s, it was a fairly modern-looking book with line illustrations, and it may have been American or Canadian as my Aunt had lived in Canada.

Let's see if this gets any response, and if not, I'll try to record the first few notes, see if that triggers anyone's memory.
Posted by: A Rebours

Re: Probably a daft question but... - 12/20/12 11:42 AM

Originally Posted By: Toadny
The problem is, all I know about the tune is that it had the word "garden" in the title. "In a (something) garden" maybe (but not a monastery garden).

The piece is by Percy Grainger, Country Gardens.

A R
Posted by: ten left thumbs

Re: Probably a daft question but... - 12/20/12 12:19 PM

I love the internet. smile
Posted by: MsAdrienne

Re: Probably a daft question but... - 12/20/12 07:33 PM

I learned the arrangement of "Country Gardens" from John Thompson's book one? two? in, oh, 3rd or 4th grade. I just sat here and plunked it out on the keyboard my laptop sits upon (out of curiosity).... funny how things we learn as little children can stick with us for so long. wink smile
Posted by: MsAdrienne

Re: Probably a daft question but... - 12/20/12 07:38 PM

Also -- not a daft question at all. It's a fun challenge instead. smile
Posted by: Toadny

Re: Probably a daft question but... - 12/28/12 11:43 AM

Ah, no, thanks for the suggestion but it's not Percy Grainger. I would guess my piece was written in the 1950s or 60s, and specifically for child learners.
Posted by: AZNpiano

Re: Probably a daft question but... - 12/28/12 11:54 AM

Originally Posted By: MsAdrienne
I learned the arrangement of "Country Gardens" from John Thompson's book one? two?

http://youtu.be/G6NjzqmNNPg

This is not the one?
Posted by: AZNpiano

Re: Probably a daft question but... - 12/28/12 11:55 AM

Or it could be this one:

http://youtu.be/EIVj7uy-tp8
Posted by: Brinestone

Re: Probably a daft question but... - 01/02/13 12:45 PM

It sounds like something from the Music Tree series, personally.