holiday time off in the studios

Posted by: Barb860

holiday time off in the studios - 01/02/13 11:16 PM

how much time are you teachers taking off for this winter/Christmas/New Year's holiday?
two weeks? one week? Do you offer makeup lessons during this time?
Just curious. I am taking two weeks off, last week and this one, which I assumed was typical but some friends who are teachers are back this week teaching full steam ahead.
Posted by: MaggieGirl

Re: holiday time off in the studios - 01/02/13 11:23 PM

Our studio is closed for 2 weeks. The rate is the full monthly rate. As a parent I don't mind. We pay a flat monthly rate so some months we have 4 lessons, on occasion 5. It all comes out in the wash. Her teacher did give her extra work so they can start off running.
Posted by: John v.d.Brook

Re: holiday time off in the studios - 01/02/13 11:49 PM

I also take a two week break. Students need some "off" time just to recuperate from the Fall load they've had to deal with. And so do I!
Posted by: Kreisler

Re: holiday time off in the studios - 01/03/13 10:43 AM

My schedule:

Dec. 15 - last day of lessons
Dec. 17-19 - make up lessons
Dec. 20-Jan. 1 - vacation time
Jan. 2-Jan. 5 - make up lessons
Jan. 7 - lessons resume

I do some version of this every year - a longish break, during which I have some time set aside for makeup lessons.
Posted by: dumdumdiddle

Re: holiday time off in the studios - 01/03/13 01:23 PM

I take the standard 2 weeks off for Christmas break. Then 1 week for Easter break, and 1 week for Thanksgiving. And I get a extra week off that I can choose whenever I like during the year (in case I'm sick or, as in this year, will combine with my Easter break when I take a trip to Italy in the spring).

Since the scheduled holidays are figured out at the beginning of the school year and parents know about them, they also know that tuition stays the same and that no makeups are given. (I do, however, sometimes use the holiday breaks to schedule extra lessons with certain students or make up any lessons that I might have missed)

Also, I like having the longer 2-week break at Christmas; everyone seems to need a break from all the Christmas music we focused on, and we jump right into new music and preparing for festivals, CM, Guild, and other spring events.
Posted by: musicpassion

Re: holiday time off in the studios - 01/04/13 03:35 AM

Usually I take two weeks off. I don't do makeup lessons during this time (or other times when the studio is closed).
Posted by: Morodiene

Re: holiday time off in the studios - 01/04/13 08:35 AM

I have the week of Thanksgiving for make-up lessons (I generally try to get them all in on one day) and then take the rest of the week off. This year I did take 3 weeks off for Christmas due to a singing engagement in WI, but generally I take 2 weeks or so, depending on the school days off. There are usually a few days after New Year's that I also use as make-up lessons. Then a week at the end of March for Spring Break. Usually in the summer I require 6 weeks only of lessons, and usually I give them about 8 weeks to choose from. The other 4 weeks are used for my continuing education and/or vacation.