Music Recommendations for Beginner Students

Posted by: eccp19

Music Recommendations for Beginner Students - 01/05/13 09:12 PM

Hello teachers,

I need some ideas for easy classical music for students around F&F lvl3. Anything "real" would be ideal for them. So far I have come up with a couple bach pieces including the famous prelude in c major. Thanks in advance.
Posted by: Minniemay

Re: Music Recommendations for Beginner Students - 01/05/13 09:18 PM

You have many options. Check any anthology. Many wonderful composers were also teachers and wrote for their students. Check out the Developing Artist series by the Fabers or The Celebration Series.
Posted by: Morodiene

Re: Music Recommendations for Beginner Students - 01/05/13 10:10 PM

Originally Posted By: eccp19
Hello teachers,

I need some ideas for easy classical music for students around F&F lvl3. Anything "real" would be ideal for them. So far I have come up with a couple bach pieces including the famous prelude in c major. Thanks in advance.

I wouldn't jump into the prelude in C from the PA 3 - it's a bit of a reach to do it properly, especially depending upon whether the student in question is at the beginning, middle, or end of book 3. Keith Snell Piano Repertoire books are great, you may be looking at Level 1 or 2 depending on the skills of the student. When students complete Book 3 of the PA I usually switch them over to the Celebration Series books, at either Level 2 or 3 (again, depending on the skills of the student).
Posted by: Joyce_dup1

Re: Music Recommendations for Beginner Students - 01/06/13 04:54 PM

Prelude C is actually in the Faber Piano Adventures Lesson Book 4. Why don't you just continue with the Faber method series, and be sure to include the Performance Book. It will include some classical, but also keep the student interested with well-rounded selections to include jazz, blues, rags, contemporary. I often try to move to standard literature, only to find that the structure provided with the method series makes it so much easier and more thorough. Take a look! Try it!