Canon in D for Late elementary Student

Posted by: dmd

Canon in D for Late elementary Student - 01/07/13 06:57 PM

I am interested in finding a nice version of Canon in D for the late elementary (possibly early intermediate) student.

It needs to provide fingerings.

Any help here ?
Posted by: Kreisler

Re: Canon in D for Late elementary Student - 01/07/13 08:36 PM

Nancy Faber's arrangement is excellent. You can find it in the Piano Adventures Lesson Book Level 3B. I think the same (or similar) arrangement is also in the FunTime Popular supplementary collection.
Posted by: Barb860

Re: Canon in D for Late elementary Student - 01/07/13 10:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Kreisler
Nancy Faber's arrangement is excellent. You can find it in the Piano Adventures Lesson Book Level 3B. I think the same (or similar) arrangement is also in the FunTime Popular supplementary collection.

Yes, it's in level 3A-B FunTime Popluar, key of C. Then it's also in the Faber level 4 BigTime Popular supplement book, also in key of C. My students are big fans of these 2 books.
Posted by: Kreisler

Re: Canon in D for Late elementary Student - 01/07/13 10:22 PM

Ah...the lesson book version is in D, so it must be a bit different.
Posted by: Opus_Maximus

Re: Canon in D for Late elementary Student - 01/08/13 02:44 AM

Originally Posted By: Kreisler
Ah...the lesson book version is in D, so it must be a bit different.

Yes - I second the Faber 3B Canon. It's EXCELLENT, and what a way to end a book! My most talented student just ended our recent recital with a collection of 3B pieces, ending with this one. It was VERY effective. (Although the Faber arrangement lesson book 3B is in C - I'm positive. You must be thinking of another one Kreisler. )
Posted by: Barb860

Re: Canon in D for Late elementary Student - 02/07/13 10:51 PM

In the Faber series, their level 4 "Bigtime Piano Popular" book has "Pachelbel Canon" in the key of C. In their same level 4 series, the collection titled "Bigtime Piano Classics" has "Canon in D". I use both and my students enjoy these.
Posted by: ROMagister

Re: Canon in D for Late elementary Student - 02/08/13 03:56 AM

Adult Piano Adventures vol.2 also ends with "Pachelbel Canon" in C. Likely the same as the above-mentioned Faber versions. There is a more complex, jazzy arrangement by the Fabers too.

Then there's also Oborin's arrangement, in D, but with a nice pattern of the culminating fast part, which falls very nicely under elementary fingers, slightly easier than the 'violins' version.

There are several more heavily simplified arrangement around on the 'Net now.
Posted by: PianoStudent88

Re: Canon in D for Late elementary Student - 02/08/13 07:07 AM

Alfred's Adult All-In-One Level 2 has an arrangement (last piece in the book) which uses the same sequence of hand positions for every variation. To me this makes it a little easier than the Faber version, although (as usual for me with Alfred vs. Faber) I think the Faber version is more interesting.

[ETA: oops, didn't see ROMagister's post! No, the versions are not the same.]
Posted by: Morodiene

Re: Canon in D for Late elementary Student - 02/08/13 07:59 AM

Hal Leonard has an arrangement that is really nice, you can buy it in sheet music, Level 5. This is more on the early intermediate side of things vs. late elementary.
Posted by: casinitaly

Re: Canon in D for Late elementary Student - 02/08/13 10:59 AM

Originally Posted By: Morodiene
Hal Leonard has an arrangement that is really nice, you can buy it in sheet music, Level 5. This is more on the early intermediate side of things vs. late elementary.

Is it actually in D?
I love this music dearly and would be happy to play a simplified version, but I want to play in D.
Posted by: GlassLove

Re: Canon in D for Late elementary Student - 02/08/13 01:32 PM

I also have an arrangement by Willard Palmer and it is in D. I am not sure which I prefer, the Willard Palmer or the Faber version in D.
Posted by: GlassLove

Re: Canon in D for Late elementary Student - 02/08/13 01:47 PM

I take it back, I actually prefer the Faber version to the Willard Palmer. The Palmer has some interesting variations, in my opinion, but it gets tedious sounding after a bit.