tiger cub moving on

Posted by: ten left thumbs

tiger cub moving on - 01/11/13 12:18 PM

An update on a young and quite precocious student (of eastern origin) I took on in August. Student was playing at what I could call intermediate standard physically, but couldn't read music. Well, I did my best and at least now she knows the difference between middle C and the D above it.

The dad told me today this would be the last lesson. It is really hard to understand him but I think they have a teacher planned who will teach by the Hong Kong method, which suits them better. He made sure to tell me he really appreciated her theory has come a long way due to my efforts.

I am sad to see her go, but not at all surprised. It's been quite an experience. I was glad to pick the brains of more experienced teachers here. I do hope she remembers some of what I taught her.
Posted by: John v.d.Brook

Re: tiger cub moving on - 01/11/13 12:34 PM

It's always a bit sad when a student decides to leave, especially when you're making good progress with them. I suspect the Hong Kong method is the 19th century high fingers, calm hand, which is totally useless for Romantic and contemporary literature. Not too long ago, I had a transfer student who was visiting from Hong Kong for a year. Not terribly impressed with the foundation training this student received.

Anyway, you should feel good about what and how you helped this student.
Posted by: AZNpiano

Re: tiger cub moving on - 01/11/13 01:41 PM

Well, good riddance! Your life will be better without such added stress.

Stressful parents produce stressed-out children.
Posted by: Piano*Dad

Re: tiger cub moving on - 01/11/13 01:46 PM

... or rebellious ones. wink

Re: tiger cub moving on - 01/11/13 05:11 PM

I would have liked to keep on teaching her, and will miss the income. (Till I get another few students.) For all the stresses, she was a serious student.

And I was getting somewhere with her.

I can't deny, her Hong Kong teacher got her playing very well.
Posted by: bmbutler

Re: tiger cub moving on - 01/14/13 03:39 PM

No notice?

Re: tiger cub moving on - 01/14/13 04:48 PM

None. In fairness, I don't have a contract, so it's not against the law. They used all the lessons they paid for.
Posted by: bmbutler

Re: tiger cub moving on - 01/15/13 08:54 AM

Not saying against the law, but sorry you lost the income. Get a policy, IMHO.

Re: tiger cub moving on - 01/15/13 09:05 AM

I have a policy. smile In time I will protect myself better, but just now I'm happy as it is. I would have lost her anyway, perhaps with a bit more cash.