Piano learning kid moves from Canada to Colorado US

Posted by: izut

Piano learning kid moves from Canada to Colorado US - 01/15/13 07:48 PM

My daughter is 9 years old and going to take her level 5 RCM this month (practical only). Our family is moving to Colorado soon. I am wondering which program is better for her to follow after our move, continue on RCM, or Suzuki or others? It will be appreciated if you could give me some suggestion.:)
Posted by: musicpassion

Re: Piano learning kid moves from Canada to Colorado US - 01/15/13 08:39 PM

If you're happy with RCM then I would suggest sticking with RCM. It seems that for some reason they renamed it "The Achievement Program with Carnegie Hall" on this side of the border, but I think it's the same program.

Suzuki is a whole different thing. I wouldn't advise that switch if you're happy with what you're already doing.

Of course your new teacher's opinion might be the most important one. I understand, however, that program affiliation might influence your choice of teachers.

Re: Piano learning kid moves from Canada to Colorado US - 01/15/13 10:35 PM

Thanks musicpassion. We are okay with RCM, but we don't have much knowledge of other programs. It seems there are more choices in US than in Canada, but we have to pick one. smile
Posted by: Minniemay

Re: Piano learning kid moves from Canada to Colorado US - 01/15/13 10:58 PM

Carnegie Hall just pulled out of The Achievement Program, fyi.
Posted by: Kreisler

Re: Piano learning kid moves from Canada to Colorado US - 01/15/13 11:53 PM

As far as I can tell, they just took their name off. It doesn't look like there will be any changes to the program, just a slight name change.

Originally Posted By: Minniemay

Re: Piano learning kid moves from Canada to Colorado US - 01/16/13 04:01 AM

Oh. That's interesting to know. Thanks for the update.

Re: Piano learning kid moves from Canada to Colorado US - 01/16/13 04:05 AM

Originally Posted By: izut
Thanks musicpassion. We are okay with RCM, but we don't have much knowledge of other programs. It seems there are more choices in US than in Canada, but we have to pick one. smile

Yes there are a lot of choices. In California (where I am) Certificate of Merit is the big, highly regarded program (so that's the one I know the best). But that's CA only.

You don't have to pick a program. With a good teacher you don't absolutely need a program. Maybe it would be reasonable to just find the best teacher you can and do what they prefer.

Re: Piano learning kid moves from Canada to Colorado US - 01/16/13 07:15 AM

If you can tell us which city in Colorado you are moving to, someone on this board may have some good connections.
Posted by: Ann in Kentucky

Re: Piano learning kid moves from Canada to Colorado US - 01/16/13 07:34 AM

The Achievement Program website still looks the same with "Carnegie Hall" in the title.

http://www.theachievementprogram.org/program/piano-program-details

Simplifying the title sounds like a good idea. "Carnegie Hall Royal Conservatory The Achievement Program" is quite a mouthful.
Posted by: Ann in Kentucky

Re: Piano learning kid moves from Canada to Colorado US - 01/16/13 07:46 AM

http://www.theachievementprogram.org/

This page shows that as of yesterday (Jan 15, 3013) the The Achievement Program will be known as "The Royal Conservatory Music Achievement Program". So maybe an update on the website will be forthcoming...eventually deleting "Carnegie Hall" from the title.

Re: Piano learning kid moves from Canada to Colorado US - 01/16/13 01:35 PM

We are moving to Golden, Colorado. It falls in Metro Denver area,I think...
If you can tell us which city in Colorado you are moving to, someone on this board may have some good connections.
Posted by: PianoStudent88

Re: Piano learning kid moves from Canada to Colorado US - 01/16/13 02:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Ann in Kentucky

This page shows that as of yesterday (Jan 15, 3013) the The Achievement Program will be known as "The Royal Conservatory Music Achievement Program". So maybe an update on the website will be forthcoming...eventually deleting "Carnegie Hall" from the title.

Actually, "The Royal Conservatory Music Development Program." There is a link now to a press release describing what's going on a little bit more: Carnegie Hall is stepping out of being involved in this program to focus on other "national and international music programs", and RCM will solely handle registrations and records for TAP... I mean, TRCMDP.

An interesting nugget in the press release is that there are 4000 teachers registered with this program (what shall we call it for short? just RCM now?) in the US, and 6000 assessments were taken last year. I wonder what the distributions of assessed students/per teacher is. I would have expected a higher ratio. I wonder if teachers tend to expect to send most of their students to these exams, or if they're only sending certain (highly motivated? high achieving?) students, or if a lot of teachers are registered but haven't yet sent students or worked this program into their studio.

By comparison, in Canada there are 100,000 assessments per year.

Re: Piano learning kid moves from Canada to Colorado US - 01/16/13 03:48 PM

It seems like all piano learning kids we know here are taking the RCM exams...

Originally Posted By: PianoStudent88
Originally Posted By: Ann in Kentucky

Actually, "The Royal Conservatory Music Development Program." There is a link now to a press release describing what's going on a little bit more: Carnegie Hall is stepping out of being involved in this program to focus on other "national and international music programs", and RCM will solely handle registrations and records for TAP... I mean, TRCMDP.

An interesting nugget in the press release is that there are 4000 teachers registered with this program (what shall we call it for short? just RCM now?) in the US, and 6000 assessments were taken last year. I wonder what the distributions of assessed students/per teacher is. I would have expected a higher ratio. I wonder if teachers tend to expect to send most of their students to these exams, or if they're only sending certain (highly motivated? high achieving?) students, or if a lot of teachers are registered but haven't yet sent students or worked this program into their studio.

By comparison, in Canada there are 100,000 assessments per year.
Posted by: PianoStudent88

Re: Piano learning kid moves from Canada to Colorado US - 01/16/13 05:04 PM

izut, where is "here"? U.S. or Canada?

Re: Piano learning kid moves from Canada to Colorado US - 01/16/13 05:25 PM

Sorry, "here" is Canada. I am still living in Canada right now.

Originally Posted By: PianoStudent88

izut, where is "here"? U.S. or Canada?

Re: Piano learning kid moves from Canada to Colorado US - 01/16/13 05:41 PM

http://www.comusicteachers.net/findateacher.asp?search=Denver&operator=and

Re: Piano learning kid moves from Canada to Colorado US - 01/17/13 12:40 PM

Thanks Minnimay. How I know which teacher has experience of RCM or other programs?

Re: Piano learning kid moves from Canada to Colorado US - 01/17/13 12:47 PM

You call them and find out.