Good teacher recommendations in the Boston area?

Posted by: ghostwind

Good teacher recommendations in the Boston area? - 01/22/13 10:52 AM

Can anyone here recommend a good piano teacher that has experience with adult beginners that is in the Boston area? I've looked at Longy and NEC, and while they seem excellent, at $100+/hour they are too pricey.

So I figured I'd ask in this forum. Googling around is not helping me, as there seem to be a ton of teachers that can do A-Z, and I don't want to start 10 auditions either. I'm looking for someone who teaches traditional classical method, technique, form/posture, theory, etc. and has experience/success with teaching beginning adults. I've looked around, and most do not have experience with adults, so that is a concern to me and why I hope I may get some suggestions here.

If you know someone, send me a PM if you don't want to post in this thread. Thanks!
Posted by: Peter K. Mose

Re: Good teacher recommendations in the Boston area? - 01/22/13 11:21 AM

I know a few, as do others on this board, but it might help to know what part of Boston you prefer to deal with, since it's a vast metropolis.

Have you played at all before? Do you have a preference for a male or female teacher? Are you talking about weekly lessons, or occasional sessions? Do you want an hour at a time? Is $60-$80 per lesson ok? It's an expensive town.

(Another option is to go with a teacher at Longy, but a shorter lesson than an hour.)

Re: Good teacher recommendations in the Boston area? - 01/22/13 12:38 PM

Thanks for the response. Let me answer some of your questions.

I'm 39 and have dabbled around pianos since I was a kid. My grandmother was a pianist, my grandfather played well, so I was around that until I immigrated to the US when I was 10. At the time, my parents could not afford a piano nor piano lessons as money was tight. I played guitar since it was cheap. Later I focused on my studies, and then work never allowed me the time I thought I would need to put in practice wise to get something out. I'm at a point in my life where I have the time to dedicate myself to weekly hourly lessons and the time to practice. I regret not doing anything earlier, but such is life. Still I'm determined. I bought a Boston acoustic upright and am ready to go. Mucking around is not getting me too far, so I need a serious teacher. I can figure things out, but I don't want to learn that way. I want to learn the proper way. So that's a bit of background. I can play some basic stuff, know some scales, keys, etc.

I never thought about male vs. female, but if I had to pick, I'd pick female (if things were equal) as a preference. The lessons would be 1 hour and weekly. $60-$80 is about right. I'm not sure a lesson less than 60min would work for me as I'm ambitious but patient, and want to cover a lot - theory, sight reading, technique, etc. My interest is classical. Hope this helps a bit smile

EDIT: I forgot to mention area. I'm in Burlington, MA, sort of 30min away from downtown, 30min away from most places. Close cities are Lexington, etc. I'm fine with a 30-40min drive for the right teacher and my time is pretty flexible.
Posted by: Peter K. Mose

Re: Good teacher recommendations in the Boston area? - 01/23/13 04:45 PM

PM sent. You are correct that weekly hour lessons would indeed be the best for you. Most piano teachers have had a few beginning adult students, but you are correct in hoping to find someone who really enjoys working with a peer.

My advice is to take a couple of trial lessons, after phone interviews. Not 10 auditions, but 2 or 3 would be a good thing. Most students don't do this, but they should. Most piano teachers aren't used to it, either, for that matter, but it remains a good thing.

Re: Good teacher recommendations in the Boston area? - 01/24/13 09:07 AM

Thanks Peter - good advice and will do.