Yo-Yo Ma on hearing Vladimir Horowitz, etc.

Posted by: vlhorowitz

Yo-Yo Ma on hearing Vladimir Horowitz, etc. - 01/22/13 01:25 PM

Hi Everyone,

Hope you're all having a good week. Here is our latest interview with Yo-Yo Ma on traditions, performance, and hearing Vladimir Horowitz in his element.

http://www.examiner.com/article/interview-with-cellist-yo-yo-ma

As always, thank you all very much for reading smile
Posted by: LoPresti

Yo-Yo Ma on hearing Vladimir Horowitz, etc. - 01/22/13 06:34 PM

Thank you.

I received a Yo-Yo Ma recording as a Christmas gift, and I can hear (and feel) that "character" of which he speaks in every note! What a unique talent, and thoughtful individual he is!

Ed
Posted by: vlhorowitz

Re: Yo-Yo Ma on hearing Vladimir Horowitz, etc. - 01/25/13 02:10 PM

Yes, his concert last night was very moving. Thanks for reading and commenting smile
Posted by: Overexposed

Re: Yo-Yo Ma on hearing Vladimir Horowitz, etc. - 01/25/13 08:27 PM

vlhorowitz,

Thanks for posting. This has been a week in which I have obsessed over an issue that I have no control over. So it was particularly uplifting to be reminded that there is this wonderful person in the world named Yo-Yo Ma.
Posted by: Sandra M

Re: Yo-Yo Ma on hearing Vladimir Horowitz, etc. - 01/25/13 09:10 PM

Did anyone in this forum play Vladimir Horowitz Steinway grand piano that was on tour in the early 1990's? His relative who inherited his piano loaned it to Steinway dealerships across the oountry. His Steinway grand from his New York apartment and sent to Moscow with him a few years before he died. Brian Brooks, a Steinway concert artist, was my piano teacher at a Steinway dealership and Horowitz grand was there in the dealership with us. I asked if I could play the piano and he agreed. I sat down and played. After playing I asked Brian why there was no bite to the Steinway as the action was very weak. He told me that Vladimir had aging hand problems and the action was adjusted. What a huge blessing to play his piano. Sandra M
Posted by: adultpianist

Re: Yo-Yo Ma on hearing Vladimir Horowitz, etc. - 01/26/13 09:38 PM

I have been fortunate to hear him play at the Proms in London.
Posted by: John v.d.Brook

Re: Yo-Yo Ma on hearing Vladimir Horowitz, etc. - 01/27/13 09:55 AM

Originally Posted By: Sandra M
Did anyone in this forum play Vladimir Horowitz Steinway grand piano that was on tour in the early 1990's? His relative who inherited his piano loaned it to Steinway dealerships across the oountry. His Steinway grand from his New York apartment and sent to Moscow with him a few years before he died.

I believe it's still on tour. One of my students reported playing it in Seattle this Fall.
Posted by: Sandra M

Re: Yo-Yo Ma on hearing Vladimir Horowitz, etc. - 02/01/13 09:18 AM

Wish all of us could have been with you to attend Vladimir Horowitz live performance in London. Sandra M
Posted by: gutenberg

Re: Yo-Yo Ma on hearing Vladimir Horowitz, etc. - 02/02/13 10:12 AM

Yes, the piano is still on tour. I had a magical experience two summers ago having an hour with the piano after it was tuned and regulated by Franz Mohr.