Sheet Music Magnification

Posted by: dmd

Sheet Music Magnification - 01/26/13 04:46 PM

Is there such a thing as something you can use to magnify the sheet music on the piano music stand ?
Posted by: Nikolas

Re: Sheet Music Magnification - 01/26/13 04:49 PM

Only if you photocopy it and enlarge it.. Or if you have it digitally magnified (scan it, PDF it and print it larger, etc)...

Otherwise I'd imagine that wearing some kind of glasses might help, but... :-/
Posted by: Bob Newbie

Re: Sheet Music Magnification - 01/26/13 05:01 PM

maybe this?
http://www.maxiaids.com/products/9435/3x-Laptop-Screen-Magnifier:-12-inch.html
Posted by: Candywoman

Re: Sheet Music Magnification - 01/27/13 12:54 AM

Or you can reduce the size of the piano music stand. smile
Posted by: currawong

Re: Sheet Music Magnification - 01/27/13 01:51 AM

Originally Posted By: Bob Newbie
maybe this?
http://www.maxiaids.com/products/9435/3x-Laptop-Screen-Magnifier:-12-inch.html
Interesting. It was hard to see exactly what it was like. I wonder could you use it with printed music (rather than a computer screen). Have you actually seen one up close, Bob? I have trouble with tiny print - that is, I can read it if I take my glasses off and get very close to the page, but that's not practical for reading music at the piano. Ordinary size is ok, of course, but I can't easily read miniature scores at the piano any more.
Posted by: Overexposed

Re: Sheet Music Magnification - 01/27/13 09:17 AM

currawong, I began to have the same problem last year. I saw my optometrist about it. I now have a pair of glasses that I use only for reading at piano. It works. They are not a strong enough prescription to see across the room, but they are great for that intermediate range of seeing sheet music at piano.
Posted by: Bob Newbie

Re: Sheet Music Magnification - 01/27/13 09:53 AM

I haven't seen one in person... if it says 3x magnification take a font size, the increase it 3x... see if it meets your needs, the price is certainly low to buy..
Posted by: malkin

Re: Sheet Music Magnification - 01/27/13 10:18 AM

I had a magnifying sheet that was intended to put over a page of text. I couldn't use it because of distortion; proper reading glasses are way better for me. YMMV

I've also had success with enlarging on a copy machine. Sometimes I've cut the pages up in order for the new format to fit on pages.
Posted by: joflah

Re: Sheet Music Magnification - 01/27/13 03:24 PM

If you do happen to be using a PDF score, you can import the PDF into Photoshop, remove the header information or reposition it in a smaller font size, and cut the margins to almost nothing. Then save it as a new PDF. It will be effectively magnified by quite a lot.
Posted by: pelf

Re: Sheet Music Magnification - 01/27/13 03:36 PM

I enlarge all my choir music on a copier for use at the piano. Guess I'm getting old!

Would a light/magnifier combination intended for craft work help? I've never used these, but maybe...
http://www.joann.com/lights/magnifiers/
http://www.mightybright.com/Craft-Lights/

Re: Sheet Music Magnification - 01/27/13 04:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Ann in Kentucky
currawong, I began to have the same problem last year. I saw my optometrist about it. I now have a pair of glasses that I use only for reading at piano. It works. They are not a strong enough prescription to see across the room, but they are great for that intermediate range of seeing sheet music at piano.
Thanks, Ann - I've actually had piano glasses for about 12 years (they work for the computer, too), so I have the ordinary reading at the piano under control. The problem comes when the print is unusually small, as with a miniature score. I can read it, if I take my glasses off and get ridiculously close, but that doesn't work for playing. Some sort of magnifying device, if it worked for a paper score and not just a computer screen, would be useful for me, I think, in certain circumstances.

Re: Sheet Music Magnification - 01/27/13 05:35 PM

Originally Posted By: currawong
Thanks, Ann - I've actually had piano glasses for about 12 years (they work for the computer, too), so I have the ordinary reading at the piano under control. The problem comes when the print is unusually small, as with a miniature score. I can read it, if I take my glasses off and get ridiculously close, but that doesn't work for playing. Some sort of magnifying device, if it worked for a paper score and not just a computer screen, would be useful for me, I think, in certain circumstances.

Oh. Got it.

Re: Sheet Music Magnification - 01/27/13 05:46 PM

Oh. Got it.
Actually, I have a whole pile of glasses - 4 current ones: multifocals for everyday use; long-distance for driving; long-distance sunnies; piano/computer glasses for that distance. Then I have the previous two pairs of piano glasses, each with a little longer focus distance (quite useful for some things), and two pair of older multifocals for emergencies. 8-)

Re: Sheet Music Magnification - 01/28/13 09:12 AM

Ha Ha! That reminds me of an episode of Crayola's Mouse and Mole. In it Mole has lost his glasses, and he finds lots of glasses before finding the pair he was looking for. For example "These are the glasses I wear to find my glasses" etc. It was adorable.
Posted by: malkin

Re: Sheet Music Magnification - 01/28/13 10:23 AM

The previous 2 posts could be a description of me!

Re: Sheet Music Magnification - 01/28/13 11:44 AM

Originally Posted By: malkin
The previous 2 posts could be a description of me!

laugh