Front steps, snowy conditions, and neighbor Dave

Posted by: Peter K. Mose

Front steps, snowy conditions, and neighbor Dave - 02/08/13 01:18 PM

We're in the midst of a big snowstorm today, and this morning I was trying to shovel the front steps before teaching. Neighbor Dave was helping out with the sidewalk, then counselled me against putting down rock salt, given anticipated further snow conditions.

I told him I thought the salt would at least give a little grip to their boot treads for my arriving students. "Peter," he replied, "they're Canadians. If they can't figure out how to get up your [adjective deleted] front steps, they don't deserve to play the piano!"

Perhaps the best line of my teaching season.
Posted by: keystring

Re: Front steps, snowy conditions, and neighbor Dave - 02/08/13 01:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Peter K. Mose

I told him I thought the salt would at least give a little grip to their boot treads for my arriving students. "Peter," he replied, "they're Canadians. If they can't figure out how to get up your [adjective deleted] front steps, they don't deserve to play the piano!"

Yes, but you're in Toronto. laugh (Those in Northern and Eastern Ontario will get it.)

Seriously - good luck today. On a sober note, you want to clear and salt for insurance reasons. You want to prove due diligence in case someone does slip and fall.

This actually brings up a question (since I also freelance) - how common is liability insurance for teachers who teach out of their own studios?
Posted by: Bob Newbie

Re: Front steps, snowy conditions, and neighbor Dave - 02/08/13 01:56 PM

Rock salt eats away concrete.. over time..it did a number on my limestone treads,
I use that other stuff.."Meltaway"
Posted by: casinitaly

Re: Front steps, snowy conditions, and neighbor Dave - 02/08/13 04:05 PM

lol... I'm in Italy, but spent the first 36 years of my life in Ottawa. Ottawans know about snow.
The folks from Toronto...well, as Keystring said....:)

I would think though that you should have insurance coverage - here we have insurance for anyone who visits our house, but if I had my students coming here, I don't know if the insurance would be the same for work purposes. That would definitely be worth investigating.

Peter - your neighbour's comment made me think that perhaps you aren't originally from Canada?
Posted by: Minniemay

Re: Front steps, snowy conditions, and neighbor Dave - 02/08/13 04:28 PM

I have a liability rider. It's not expensive, but it's worth it.
Posted by: Peter K. Mose

Re: Front steps, snowy conditions, and neighbor Dave - 02/08/13 08:59 PM

Cas, I'm indeed one of Canada's immigrants. It has been a good country to me.
Posted by: Laurie R.

Re: Front steps, snowy conditions, and neighbor Dave - 02/11/13 11:00 PM

Hi Cas,

I, too, spent many years living in Ottawa. Now, I live across the bridge from Ottawa, in Gatineau (Qu├ębec). Yes, we certainly do know about snow. Did you live here in the "Winter of, I think, 1971", where the depth of the snow was higher than the tops of the windows??
Posted by: casinitaly

Re: Front steps, snowy conditions, and neighbor Dave - 02/12/13 02:33 AM

Peter - glad Canada is treating you well - (we have a pretty good reputation for that eh? )

Laurie.... yup. I remember trying to walk to school and the snow was almost up to my waist. The streets hadn't all been ploughed - or maybe the sidewalks hadn't... I don't remember. I really think it was quite silly of me to have tried. It must have been a teenager thing.
Posted by: Bluoh

Re: Front steps, snowy conditions, and neighbor Dave - 02/13/13 08:00 PM

Originally Posted By: casinitaly
Peter - glad Canada is treating you well - (we have a pretty good reputation for that eh? )

Laurie.... yup. I remember trying to walk to school and the snow was almost up to my waist. The streets hadn't all been ploughed - or maybe the sidewalks hadn't... I don't remember. I really think it was quite silly of me to have tried. It must have been a teenager thing.

I'm from Ontario, and I totally miss ice-skating on the ponds! The weather here is too mild for that.
Posted by: LoPresti

Re: Front steps, snowy conditions, and neighbor Dave - 02/13/13 10:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Peter K. Mose
. . . "they're Canadians. If they can't figure out how to get up your [adjective deleted] front steps, they don't deserve to play the piano!"

Peter,

My son refers to this sort of reasoning as "natural selection" (after Darwin!)

Ed