Study: Hearing Music as Beautiful is a Learned Trait

Posted by: theJourney

Study: Hearing Music as Beautiful is a Learned Trait - 02/18/13 05:09 AM

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archiv...d-trait/273185/

Quote:

The ability to identify tones and thus enjoy harmonies was positively correlated with musical training. Said study co-author Sarah Wilson, "This showed us that even the ability to hear a musical pitch (or note) is learned."

From a practical standpoint, the results seem to suggest that we can train ourselves to better appreciate music.

The more ambitious implication of the findings, according to lead author Neil McLachlan, is that it "overturns centuries of theories that physical properties of the ear determine what we find appealing."

...much of what we find to be appealing -- or what strikes us as sublime -- in music is based in our brains being trained to hear it that way.

It may not be breakthrough knowledge on this forum, but you can use this to tell people who say " I am not musical " that there is no such thing. They simply have less experience being musical....and with the right training from you they can change that and become more so!
Posted by: MaggieGirl

Re: Study: Hearing Music as Beautiful is a Learned Trait - 02/18/13 12:15 PM

I wholeheartedly agree. I never liked any music without words. When my daughter started skating and decided it was something she was serious about, I decided that we needed to be familiar with classical music. We started with the podcast "classics for kids". We learn a little background about the musician and time period and bits and pieces of their pieces. Then we look for the full versions of the pieces we enjoyed. We discuss physical movement and how a piece feels. I moved all the car stations to classical and jazz music.

(An aside - my son is over 18 and for the first time since he got his car he road with me a couple weeks ago. He went to change the station and the same station came up. He said - Mom out of six buttons, there are only two stations programmed! :D)

We now recognize a lot of music and have clear favorites - when before we enjoyed very little. The more music we hear, the more music we like. The music is definitely more complicated than popular music.