Looking for teacher in SD area

Posted by: Rie

Looking for teacher in SD area - 04/13/04 07:15 PM

Hi guys, I'm a graduate student right now but I took lessons for about 10 years until I went to college. I would love to resume learning again so does anyone have any recommendations on teachers in the San Diego area? Thanks!!
Posted by: Joy

Re: Looking for teacher in SD area - 04/16/04 02:13 AM

Hi Rie,

I think you need to supply more information before anyone can make suggestions.

(1) Which part of San Diego county are you located?

(2) What type of music were you playing when you stopped taking lessons?

(3) What type of instruction are you looking for?

Regards,

Joy
Posted by: keyplyr

Re: Looking for teacher in SD area - 04/20/04 01:18 AM

I'm in the San Diego area. View curriculum, schedule and rates Here

- or -

To search for a music teacher or school near you, you may wish to use the Teacher Locator . It's free, just enter your zip code and how far you are willing to drive - some instructors may make house calls.
Posted by: Rie

Re: Looking for teacher in SD area - 04/20/04 01:39 PM

Oh whoops, sorry about that. Okay, 1. I live in the UTC/close to UCSD area, 2. I played just classical music before I stopped lessons, 3. I'd like some guidance in learning more advanced classical pieces, since I can learn the notes and everything on my own, but I dont' want to play the piece just banging on the keys, i want to make sure I'm playing the piece correctly (musically and technically.)

Thanks for the links too!
Posted by: Joy

Re: Looking for teacher in SD area - 04/24/04 04:17 AM

Rie,

I suggest going to this link:

Music Teachers Association of California

Then scroll down to San Diego County. Call Tracy Lovley (619-465-6215) for a recommendation in your area. Tell her your musical background -- exactly what you indicated above. Get at least three names. If you want to meet teachers in the North County area, contact Nelly Kras (there is an email link for her).

It's a good idea to interview several teachers to get a feel for the one that's right for you. Ask each one if you can audit a lesson. I find that good teachers do not mind the request, and it's good for the student involved provided they are forewarned they will be audited. Observing the interaction between student and teacher, and the instruction in progress should provide a good window into your final choice.

Good luck,

Joy

\:\)