First female conductor In America for a major symphony orchestra.

Posted by: 193866

First female conductor In America for a major symphony orchestra. - 10/17/07 02:39 PM

Dear Teachers, Wanting to share this exciting news with those who have not heard. As of this year 2007 we have the first female conductor of a major symphony orchestra ever in America. We have Marin Alsop to thank who is now conductor for the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra . Maybe this will pave the way for female composers, etc. She stated she has known from 9 years old that she wanted to be a conductor and that Leonard Bernstein inspired her. I am so very elated with this news. Cheers, Sandy B
Posted by: Piano*Dad

Re: First female conductor In America for a major symphony orchestra. - 10/17/07 03:19 PM

Well, I guess the Virginia Symphony doesn't count. ;\)

Joanne Falletta has held the baton here for a number of years.

Re: First female conductor In America for a major symphony orchestra. - 10/17/07 03:35 PM

The news articles stated the first female in the USA to conduct a major Symphony. I invited Marin Alsop to join us for chats, in Piano World Forums. She can be emailed on her official web site. I must get to a BSO concert ASAP to celebrate this exciting 2007 event. Cheers, Sandy B

Re: First female conductor In America for a major symphony orchestra. - 10/17/07 06:56 PM

Went back and read the articles and they stated both, to conduct a major orchestra and also to conduct a major symnphony orchestra. Read it as you want. I am too happy to split hairs with you. Sandy B
Posted by: David Marsden

Re: First female conductor In America for a major symphony orchestra. - 10/17/07 07:03 PM

I think it's great news about Marin Alsop.

I had the chance to work under the baton of Ms. Falletta a few years back, and it was a great experience.

Re: First female conductor In America for a major symphony orchestra. - 10/17/07 07:15 PM

Wonderful news and so happy for you. I am so respectful of conductors as I was raised with the NSO as a child. I would love to hear of your conducting experience with Ms. Falletta. Cheers, Sandy B
Posted by: DragonPianoPlayer

Re: First female conductor In America for a major symphony orchestra. - 10/17/07 11:14 PM

Hi Sandy,

Marin was music director here for the Colorado Symphony Orchestra and she still is conductor emeritus. She is scheduled to be conducting Rach 3 this season and I look forward to this performance!

Rich
Posted by: bukopaudan

Re: First female conductor In America for a major symphony orchestra. - 10/21/07 08:17 PM

This is great news! I think that it will definitely pave the way for every woman and especially for girls who have dreams.
Posted by: Oxfords Gal

Re: First female conductor In America for a major symphony orchestra. - 10/22/07 07:19 AM

sweet!!
Posted by: Phlebas

Re: First female conductor In America for a major symphony orchestra. - 10/22/07 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
Well, I guess the Virginia Symphony doesn't count. ;\)

Joanne Falletta has held the baton here for a number of years. [/b]
"Major symphony orchestra" has to do with their budget. NY Phil., Boston Symphony, Baltimore, LA, Chicago, Cleveland, etc.

Re: First female conductor In America for a major symphony orchestra. - 10/24/07 02:00 PM

Phlebas... Thank you for clearing this up as I searched for an answer and I did not know how this was established myself. Who decides if a major symphony? I am a native of Northern Virginia myself, Washington Metro Area, but, I attend the Kennedy Center as this is where we go in this area for concerts in general. Budget makes sense and a deciding factor in which symphonies are major ones. Thank you again for the info. Sandy B