Hello! New to forums and piano!

Posted by: Dio

Hello! New to forums and piano! - 04/22/04 09:14 AM

Greetings,
I'm new to the forums, i'm in my mid-to-late 20's. (Ok, 27 =D) and have always been interested in learning to start playing the piano. I had a keyboard when I was much younger, and learned a couple of 'kiddie' songs, but have always wanted to become 'excellent' in playing piano.

I have no clue however where to start. Of course i'll havta buy a piano or keyboard to learn some theory, scales and exercises i'm GUESSING, hehe. But let me hear it from those that can atleast point me in a great direction.

I was at work a few nights ago, and heard some piano music on someone elses radio. It was the most powerful piece of music I ever heard. I never really appreciated classical music before (well, I didnt hate it, just never understood it) till that night at work. I dont even know what the music was called, or who was playing it. But the POWER and PASSION put into it. The way the notes blended it seemed and were released letting it appear to breath. It caught my ear. I have always wanted to learn piano because it seems complex. It looked like something I could enjoy doing for the rest of my life. Something I can put some 'heart' into.

Could I ever be as good as the person I heard playing that night at work? I can only work at it.

I just dont know where to start. I'm a patient guy, i'm in no hurry, I have the rest of my life to learn, but I gotta start sometime.

I would appreciate some help, tips, or a kick in the butt! Hehe.

Thanks for your time in reading this.

Dio
Posted by: Axtremus

Re: Hello! New to forums and piano! - 04/22/04 09:26 AM

Dio, welcome to the Forum.

Best thing to do to learn classical music on a piano: Get a teacher.

Get a competent teacher who will regularly spend one-on-one time with you and a piano. And you have to commit to practicing regularly. So easy and ready access to a piano is a must.

There are teachers who advertise on this website (see http://www.pianoworld.com/teachers/teachers.htm ). Also visit your local piano stores. They usually have a listing of local piano teachers.

As for how to know which teacher is competent, best thing to do is to listen to his/her student's playing. If the students play well, then chances are the teacher is good. If you cannot find a chance to listen to their students' playing, then you'd have to rely on world of mouth recommendations from people who know the teachers.

Good luck.