Piano World Home Page
Posted By: auda the search for a new teacher - 02/13/05 11:31 PM
(I'm copying this from the pianists' corner because I think it may be more appropriate in this forum)

I am looking into getting a new teacher. For those of you who are teachers-what kinds of things do you look for in a prospective student's audition for you? Also, what do you think would be the best way to inform my teacher that I won't take lessons any more with her without causing hurt feelings? Any help will be much appreciated!
Why are you leaving your teacher? The best thing to do is to be honest with her--she may be glad that you've decided to leave. Piano instruction is a two-way street.: if you feel that the communication isn't good, she may as well. But be sure to ask her policy about your leaving--have you signed up for a year or a semester? She may need a severance from you, or at least a certain amount of time to give notice. Piano teaching is a profession--I wouldn't worry too much about hurt feelings, auda: teachers with experience expect this kind of thing.
Posted By: princessclara2005 Re: the search for a new teacher - 02/15/05 06:42 PM
I agree with Bosendorfer.....

It's definitely both people's effort to have a good result when it comes to teaching and learning.

Teachers would prefer to teach a student with respect and honesty, someone who is serious and responsible with what they want to learn, and how they will learn it. Also, you need to know what you want to learn or improve based on your current skill so that you can find a good match. This maybe something you can think about before you find your next teacher.
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums