Recital tonight was traumatizing for the cherubs!

Posted by: Ebony and Ivory

Recital tonight was traumatizing for the cherubs! - 04/23/09 08:44 PM

Thankfully we didn't hear the tornado sirens going off, so we ignored them.
But the E kept sticking! I mean all the way down!
I went up to try it a few times and it worked. Then it was stuck again.

On my piano I can reach up inside and "flick" a key that gets stuck, but I couldn't reach in this one.

Poor kids, they all got horribly flustered!

I guess now I have to find a way to stick keys on purpose and do that now and again so they can handle it! You just can't prepare for everything can ya?!
Please can I get a do-over?!
Posted by: Horowitzian

Re: Recital tonight was traumatizing for the cherubs! - 04/23/09 10:07 PM

Ouch! That happened to me at the church where my teacher sometimes has her recitals. She's had a tech overhaul the piano (a baby grand) since this, but I had a B sticking during a piece that needed that B a lot. mad The problem was that the keyslip is very close to the keys, and some vandal had smeared something sticky onto some of the keys. Thus, that particular B stuck. frown Now we have our recitals part time at the church and part time at the local Steinway store where there are a couple of great (one of them otherworldly) concert & artist Steinway D's. smile
Posted by: Stanny

Re: Recital tonight was traumatizing for the cherubs! - 04/24/09 09:20 AM

It's a good lesson to learn....you just can't be prepared for everything! At least the tornado sirens didn't bother anyone.
Posted by: PianoTeacherKim

Re: Recital tonight was traumatizing for the cherubs! - 04/24/09 04:41 PM

Oh, so sorry that the students were flustered!! frown I sit there with my heart pounding at recitals, feeling like they're all MY kids... I hate when there's a problem like that. It's discouraging at a time when you really want all their accomplishments to shine.

Maybe you could have the kids make recordings for their parents instead, as a keepsake?

Kim