Piano World Home Page
Posted By: Chris H. Recording yourself on video! - 10/19/09 02:27 PM
For the last few years I have had this urge to video myself and post it on youtube. Don't ask me why!!!

Now that my old computer has died and I have a spanking brand new one that seems able to cope with video there really is no excuse anymore. I made a quick recording of the E major prelude from WTC1 after AZN posted about it yeasterday. The quality doesn't seem too bad from my old camcorder although the sound is a little distorted in places. I need to figure out the best place for the camera and maybe look into some mics but this will have to do for now.

I have this project in mind. No big deal but I would kind of like to record all the preludes and fugues over time, as well as the Goldberg variations. Maybe the Beethoven sonatas and a bit of Chopin. As much as possible over a period of time just to give my own playing some focus as it does get neglected with so many teaching hours.

How do the rest of you feel about this kind of thing?

I was never really in to performing in public although I have done so in the past. This seems a little easier as you can always have more than one go. That said it's very difficult to get something you are really happy with. Also my stomach is churning a bit at the though of a worldwide audience!!!!

Isn't it good to set ourselves some goals like this?

Now if you want to pull my technique or interpretation apart go for it. I'm a big boy and can take it. grin
Posted By: Monica K. Re: Recording yourself on video! - 10/19/09 02:33 PM
Chris, if us hacks over on AB forum can post our playing for the entire globe, then by all means the world deserves to hear from people who can *really* play. grin

I think it's a wonderful idea, and I think it would also be a good idea for teachers to have a link or two to video of themselves playing on your websites. I would imagine prospective students would like to see their teachers-to-be playing and enjoying themselves while playing.

I would watch your video in a heartbeat, Chris, but I didn't see a link in your post... have you uploaded it yet?
Posted By: Piano*Dad Re: Recording yourself on video! - 10/19/09 02:37 PM
Chris,

Invest in some digital recorder. Even a zoom or equivalent will dramatically enhance the audio quality. If you have decent editing software you can chop out the audio from your camcorder and replace it with the audio from your microphone (or Zoom) setup. On a Mac this is easy, but even a PC ( wink ) can handle that sort of editing.
Posted By: Morodiene Re: Recording yourself on video! - 10/19/09 02:38 PM
Chris, after hearing you play your Waldstein, I seriously doubt anyone will be pulling apart anything you do smile.

This is something I've thought about doing also. Recording pieces as I learn them so that I can accumulate some sort of library of what I've done. I have plenty of vocal recordings for demo CDs, but since I never meant to pursue performing piano, I have not done the same. It would probably be a good thing, however, so that you can get a really good idea of what needs work before a performance! The tough part is determining when it's ready to be recorded.

Perhaps I'm ready to do the first movement of the Italian Concerto. laugh
Posted By: Monica K. Re: Recording yourself on video! - 10/19/09 02:42 PM
Check out the Zoom Q3 thread over in AB forum, Chris. There's a couple of sample videos uploaded on it that will give you an idea of the quality of sound/video you get with it. And it only costs $249 USD. wow
Posted By: Chris H. Re: Recording yourself on video! - 10/19/09 02:48 PM
Originally Posted by Monica K.
I would watch your video in a heartbeat, Chris, but I didn't see a link in your post... have you uploaded it yet?

Sorry Monica. The video is in the other thread about the Prelude in E by Bach.

I did see your latest videos with the zoom Q3 and the quality looks really good although I seem to remember you were less impressed with the sound than your H4?

I always enjoy watching you play. You have nothing to worry about.
Posted By: Diane... Re: Recording yourself on video! - 10/19/09 03:02 PM
Chris H!

Do it!!!!!

Yes, I posted myself on youtube! It's easier than putting yourself in a live performance situation because you can tape yourself as many times as you want and put up the one you like best! Go for it!

My only problem was deciding what to wear! grin
Posted By: keyboardklutz Re: Recording yourself on video! - 10/19/09 03:59 PM
Make sure your mike isn't automatic volume control (which I think yours is) - your dynamics will disappear. Encore! Encore!
Posted By: Rachel J Re: Recording yourself on video! - 10/19/09 04:54 PM
I think that using the internet to post your performances is a great idea. It's a way to share your playing with others and get comments and advice! What could be better than that? I have lots of video performances posted to my website, and I get comments from strangers about my playing all the time. I think it's just great. I'm a professional level musician, but since I dedicated myself to teaching, I haven't played in public much. I think posting videos is a fantastic substitute! It's a great way to give yourself goals to focus on, too.
Posted By: Chris H. Re: Recording yourself on video! - 10/19/09 07:49 PM
Originally Posted by keyboardklutz
Make sure your mike isn't automatic volume control (which I think yours is) - your dynamics will disappear. Encore! Encore!

Good point. At the moment I don't have an external mic so it's just the one built into the camera. It will be automatic volume control and as far as I can tell there is no way to alter this. I might do a few trial runs with it for now until I get something better. The zoom Q3 does look good but I can't really afford it at the moment. Still, it gives me a bit of time to do some practice!
Posted By: keyboardklutz Re: Recording yourself on video! - 10/20/09 04:53 AM
You could consider getting a decent USB mike. I use a Samson C01U at £50. You can record from your computer and cam simultaneously and mix them together in Windows Movie Maker. Samson seem to have a new model out - it's a useful thing to have anyway.
Posted By: R0B Re: Recording yourself on video! - 10/20/09 06:16 AM
I enjoyed your video performance, Chris smile

If your 'spanking new computer' has a video capture/tv card, istalled, with analog video input ( the yellow RCA type socket) and your camera has 'analog out'( which it probably will have, especially if it is an older model) then you could connect the camera to the computer, and perhaps go with KBK's suggestion of USB condenser microphone.

This would enable you to record 'live' into the computer, using your camera in the same way as a webcam.

On the downside, if your new PC has the latest version of Windows Movie Maker, it no longer supports analog camera input, but a reasonably good, free video capture program, can be found here:
http://www.nchsoftware.com/capture/index.html

It will allow you to select your video camera as the video input, and the USB mic, as audio input, and will record both, simultaneously, without the need to synch them up afterwards..
Posted By: Chris H. Re: Recording yourself on video! - 10/20/09 07:27 AM
erm.... that's starting to sound a bit technical to me.

I wouldn't be able to record directly onto the computer because it's in my office upstairs and nowhere near the piano. It's a desktop PC rather than a laptop.

For me it needs to be as simple as possible. My camera records onto SD card which then just slots into the computer and it's just there. I can then do basic edits with windows movie maker like clip the start where I am walking to the piano etc. I do like the look of the portable recorders which have more options for audio set up.
Posted By: Chris H. Re: Recording yourself on video! - 10/20/09 10:35 AM
Okay, I realise that this isn't really going to work with the equipment I have at the moment. This morning I had a bash through P&F no.1 in C major and have just uploaded it to youtube.

I swear I was playing dynamics this time round but nothing comes across. You can perhaps notice a slight change in the tone of the piano but in general it's just all loud and horrible. Sounds like some kid doing his grade 5. Also the camera keeps going in and out of focus for no reason as I wasn't touching it and when I uploaded the sound was out of sync with the picture which is annoying.

What I might do is just use the camcorder for practice for now and hope that maybe Santa will bring me a Zoom Q3. From time to time I may post some videos for advice on interpretation, tempo, articulation etc. For example do you feel the prelude is a bit on the quick side? Also, is that flip transition between prelude and fugue a bit naff? I did try to record all in one go but had a memory slip in the fugue so I started that again. The only reason I played without music was to avoid a page turn in the transition. That was a waste of time!
Posted By: keyboardklutz Re: Recording yourself on video! - 10/20/09 10:59 AM
Jeez, they sure don't write them like that any more! I enjoyed listening. I wouldn't have staccato'd that E in the fugue theme. The A and D need it though.
Posted By: Chris H. Re: Recording yourself on video! - 10/20/09 11:04 AM
Do you think maybe just a slight separation from the E to the A?

Ahhhh, I think I know what you mean now. I'm getting an accent on the last beat of the bar and drawing attention to it with that staccato.

Thanks for that kbk.

Any other observations are welcome.
Posted By: keyboardklutz Re: Recording yourself on video! - 10/20/09 11:41 AM
Exactly, a tiny separation. Bach didn't have a sign for only shortening the E. His dot would also accent it which would mean accenting the end note of a 'cell'. As for further comments, what can I say? Bravo!
Posted By: Morodiene Re: Recording yourself on video! - 10/20/09 01:16 PM
I recently purchased a webcam and it came with a built in mic. I was prepared to use my regular mic plugged into the USB via a USB interface which I already had, but didn't need it. I take voice lessons from my teacher in CA using this, and there's no problems with dynamics as far as I can tell.

Isn't the Zoom just for audio recording? Something to think about is you probably won't get high quality audio with video unless you record them simultaneously using better audio equipment. Not sure how you'd make them mesh though. Recording is one of those things that's very hard to do well, and you have to fiddle around with mic placements to get the right sound from the piano. Usually you want two mics for recording piano, one close up and one to get the room reverb. Or, record it on a digital and then play with it after the fact. I have yet to learn how to do this smile.
Posted By: Chris H. Re: Recording yourself on video! - 10/20/09 01:25 PM
Zoom Q3

This is the new zoom Q3 like the one Monica K has. The video quality is superb abut she did say that the audio is not as good as the old H4. But if the audio is good enough I am happy with that!
Posted By: lilylady Re: Recording yourself on video! - 10/20/09 01:30 PM
MIght I suggest the video from the RH side...a little more interesting to see what the RH is doing than the 2 LH notes, aye?

I can hear dynamic changes somewhat. Probably not nearly as much as in person.

Try the whole thing with the video audio on the right side and see if that doesn't make a difference in dynamics as well.

At the Cape Cod party, I was watching everyone use their digital for recording some special pieces and thought...heck, I have that (I think) so I tried it.

All video - no sound. That was a bummer considering that I was recording a beautiful rendition of Ken Burns War theme played by Jacqueline herself. ;-(

Notes about such on the party section of PW
Posted By: Chris H. Re: Recording yourself on video! - 10/20/09 01:32 PM
I'll certainly give that a try lilylady although I am a bit cramped for space to the right of the piano.
Posted By: Monica K. Re: Recording yourself on video! - 10/20/09 03:48 PM
Originally Posted by Chris H.
I swear I was playing dynamics this time round but nothing comes across. You can perhaps notice a slight change in the tone of the piano but in general it's just all loud and horrible. Sounds like some kid doing his grade 5. Also the camera keeps going in and out of focus for no reason as I wasn't touching it and when I uploaded the sound was out of sync with the picture which is annoying.

Now you see why I was so anxious for the Zoom Q3 to finally be released!!! grin That thing is so easy to use and no problems with syncing. thumb

Actually, I thought your video/audio quality was pretty good for a camcorder. (The playing was beautiful. It was helpful to me to study your hand positioning and finger shapes, too. smile )

I'm guessing you had some kind of autofocus and it was picking up on your finger movements. Maybe there's a way to switch that off.

I'm still experimenting with my Q3 to see if I can get the autogain feature to work as well as my H4. I sent my parents packing on a plane last night, and as soon as I get caught up on my back work, I'll try to put up a few more samples.

Posted By: keyboardklutz Re: Recording yourself on video! - 10/20/09 04:02 PM
I'm still experimenting with my Q3 to see if I can get the autogain feature to work as well as my H4.
Surely auto-gain is the last thing you want?
Posted By: Monica K. Re: Recording yourself on video! - 10/20/09 06:15 PM
I'm not sure how the zooms do their auto-gain, kbk. On the H4, the way it works is that you press the red dot once, and while it's blinking you play the loudest passage from your piece. That (somehow) sets the mic sensitivity so that it doesn't clip at the loud parts, but then the softer parts still sound soft. If that makes any sense. I am obviously not a sound engineer. smirk

But on the Q3, it doesn't appear that you establish that loud baseline, so it may be operating differently... and perhaps less desirably, as you point out.
Posted By: Chris H. Re: Recording yourself on video! - 10/20/09 08:49 PM
Last one for the moment.

I just wanted to test lilylady's theory about putting the camcorder to the right of the piano. It doesn't seem to have made much difference to me. Not sure.
Posted By: Mark... Re: Recording yourself on video! - 10/20/09 09:46 PM
Chris the autofocus is probably trying to keep your moving hands in focus causing the problem...
Posted By: keyboardklutz Re: Recording yourself on video! - 10/21/09 05:42 AM
Jeez Chris, you make it seem so easy! The fugue figure was just right. I do really think you've got a dynamics problem in the prelude - is it the recorder? You'll laugh - I just took out my sheet (Kroll) someone's penciled in the date they studied it - 17.2.1886!
Posted By: Chris H. Re: Recording yourself on video! - 10/21/09 06:51 AM
I would say the dynamics in the prelude are probably 50/50 between me and the camera!

With it placed to the right it has to be right next to the piano which I think makes it a little worse. I wasn't doing much with it either though. The last time I properly sat down and studied this one was around 1986 so not quite as long ago as the student you found. I just tidied up the notes for now but it does need work before it's ready for a final take.
Posted By: AZNpiano Re: Recording yourself on video! - 10/21/09 08:37 AM
Nice playing! I play that Fugue almost the same way. I play the Prelude faster, though, more toccata-like and whimsical.

When I was studying that piece (eons ago), my less-than-stellar piano teacher told me to play the Prelude at adagio with crescendo and diminuendo within each measure. And for the Fugue, she told me to imagine a church procession in which the altar boy walks up to light the candles.

Okay, I switched teachers right there and then. Probably should have switched earlier when she couldn't teach me Ravel's Menuet Antique.
Posted By: keyboardklutz Re: Recording yourself on video! - 10/21/09 08:58 AM
...or as Prout put it - "John Sebastian Bach sat upon a tack, but he soon got up again with a howl!"
Posted By: Chris H. Re: Recording yourself on video! - 10/21/09 10:36 AM
Ha! I have that scribbled on my old ABRSM edition.

I once heard that Harold Samuel did the fingerings for the prelude while he was on a train. Don't know if that's true but some of them are a bit dodgy.

Has anyone seen the brand new ABRSM? I was looking at it the other week and it seems to be quite a lot better.

When I record it again I will play it faster once I have worked out some of that tension wink. In fact if you click on one of the other video links at the bottom of my one there is a tiny little girl playing it way faster than me. Slightly embarrassing! I catch her up in the fugue though.
Posted By: keyboardklutz Re: Recording yourself on video! - 10/21/09 10:47 AM
Ha! I have that scribbled on my old ABRSM edition.
They do work though. No. 1 is - "He went to town in a hat that made all the people laugh."

My source calls them 'racy'. There's even one about kissing girls! (no. 3).
Posted By: Chris H. Re: Recording yourself on video! - 10/21/09 01:10 PM
Love it!

I've just been messing about with the C minor prelude again and had a cunning plan to help with those dynamics. Sorry to keep anyone in suspense but I have to go and do some actual paid work now so I might not be able to upload until later tonight.

I'm just hoping the camcorder picked it up okay. I was doing something this time, honest! Another problem I am having is that my Schimmel is so damn loud. I did a fast take (maybe too fast but it was fun!) and the action is starting to struggle on some of the repetitions. Also did some work on relaxing that little finger but not entirely successful.

This is fun, and quite addictive.
Posted By: JWAbacus Re: Recording yourself on video! - 10/21/09 02:25 PM
Thanks, Chris H, for your P&F on YouTube. I'm humbled and impressed with your musical skill. It was really great watching this.

I've got quite a few videos on YouTube and the posting experience has mainly been positive; however, I have not been immune to some ridicule from a small number of posters who, literally, know everything and are acid-tongued and extremely cutting in their remarks. Some are rude too, but I've only had to remove a very few comments that went beyond civility.

I have a good quality digital camera and my grandpa records me - invariably from the treble side. We have no external mike (one video exception - 'Take 5') - so the sound really has to be watched so that we minimize distortion which is such a problem in recording the piano. We found that we had to suppress (filter) the sudden loud peaks caused at the very first of the waveform when the key is first struck. Otherwise we got quite a bit of distortion. There is a setting on our camera to do that for specifically that purpose. It works well.

What I do is (usually) record the piece twice - keep the best audio track and use the combination of video tracks to give some video effects. Obviously you can't do that with a competition video, though.

Here is an example of me playing Balakirev's "The Lark". I have never embedded a video before so don't know if this is going to work. Please keep in mind that I just turned 14-years-old.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xuP5M3jRj0I&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xuP5M3jRj0I&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Guess I don't know how to embed - apologies for the gibberish!
Posted By: R0B Re: Recording yourself on video! - 10/21/09 02:31 PM
This should do the trick, JWAbacus :-)

http://www.youtube.com/v/xuP5M3jRj0I&hl=en&fs=1&
Posted By: keyboardklutz Re: Recording yourself on video! - 10/21/09 02:36 PM
No, this:

Posted By: JWAbacus Re: Recording yourself on video! - 10/21/09 02:45 PM
Thanks to everyone giving me valuable advice on how to embed ... keyboardklutz got it to work too, getting the actual picture on the post, but I can't seem to get that copying his exact method - I get a live link instead.

So much to learn and so little time.

Thank you all!
Respectfully,
Josh
Posted By: keyboardklutz Re: Recording yourself on video! - 10/21/09 02:47 PM
Originally Posted by JWAbacus

So much to learn and so little time.
I can't help thinking you've learned quite a lot already! And welcome to PW. My mistake, you seem to have been around for some time. Welcome all the same.
Posted By: R0B Re: Recording yourself on video! - 10/21/09 02:56 PM
Ah! KBK,

You beat me by a click :-)
Posted By: keyboardklutz Re: Recording yourself on video! - 10/21/09 03:04 PM
On the net, difference between a winner and a loser mate!
Posted By: Chris H. Re: Recording yourself on video! - 10/21/09 05:45 PM
Nice Lark you have there JW.

I just uploaded and I am afraid the sound is no better. But I'll post anyway because I am sure you will get the idea of what I have tried to do.

Here's the first one. It's just the chord progressions for the first part of the prelude played in a sort of new age way, think of it as a kind of eweiss meets Bach laugh I tried to get the dynamics to follow the dischord/resolutions and cadences. I don't know if you can pick it up but it might be useful for someone learning it.

Then just for fun I decided to do another run of the prelude at a slightly faster tempo. You wouldn't know it but at measure 15 I am really tickling the keys but that bloody auto volume is scuppering me. Don't ask me why I decided to play octave G's, maybe I just like the bass on that piano!

I had more fun this time.

Posted By: AZNpiano Re: Recording yourself on video! - 10/21/09 06:55 PM
Ah...Bach is rolling over in his grave!! "New Age" Bach?

All kidding aside, I do like your latest video. Good tempo choice and interesting pacing of dynamics. Bravo!
Posted By: Chris H. Re: Recording yourself on video! - 10/21/09 08:49 PM
Someone might have already PM'd JW about how to get the youtube clip to show up directly but I will explain briefly because it took me a while to work it out.

On youtube you need to click 'share' underneath your clip or on the screen when it has finished playing.

It then gives you a URL(is that right?) which you need to highlight and copy.

On the pianoworld full reply screen there is an icon that looks like a TV screen, 5th from the left which when you run your cursor over it should say "Enter a media tag"

Click that icon and paste your URL into the text box that appears.

That should be it, all done!

AZN, I almost said that the great man would be turning in his grave grin

Too bad! He's not here and there's nothing he can do about it.
Posted By: JWAbacus Re: Recording yourself on video! - 10/22/09 12:09 AM
THANKS CHRIS H!

I FINALLY found out how to do it because you took the time to explain it to me. I tried over and over again but finally gave up because I was hitting a brick wall and it felt so good when I stopped.

THANKS - and I thoroughly enjoyed your great new videos on YouTube! I sense the different dynamics by the changing tone of the piano - and by visual cues; however, the overall volume level of the video seems to be relatively the same anyways.

In any event, Bach would have been proud. Bravo!

Following your exact method I get:

I would have edited my first post above but now the "Edit" feature has disappeared on that post. Everything I seem to touch turns to dust. Alas.
Posted By: musiclady Re: Recording yourself on video! - 10/22/09 03:10 AM
My major instrument isn't piano, but I have a number of videos of my playing (and some of my students) on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/clariniano.

Meri
Posted By: keyboardklutz Re: Recording yourself on video! - 10/22/09 06:45 PM
Originally Posted by JWAbacus
I would have edited my first post above but now the "Edit" feature has disappeared on that post. Everything I seem to touch turns to dust. Alas.
I can't help thinking you're a little too deep into the Romantic era.
Posted By: Chris H. Re: Recording yourself on video! - 10/23/09 01:07 PM
I have one more to share with you if you don't mind?

I recorded the C# major prelude on my Yamaha U1 instead of the Schimmel just to see what the difference in sound is like. No fugue yet I'm afraid as I am having some problems which are explained in the other thread. The playing in this one is a bit raw. At the moment it's a little sloppy and uneven in places and not always together but I will need to do it again when the fugue is done anyway.

What I want to know is what you think about Schimmel vs Yamaha?

I know it's hard to tell because of the poor quality audio but does anyone have any general thoughts? I can't get the camera to the right because as you can see I am up against sliding glass doors. You do get a nice reflection of my garden in the shiny poly finish though. It might be possible to rig something up to shoot from over my right shoulder but I can't think how right now.

Posted By: Morodiene Re: Recording yourself on video! - 10/23/09 02:02 PM
I love the reflection of the trees in the finish on the piano! LOL it looks like your piano is alive.

The Schimmel seems to be a warmer sound, but more prone to cutting out in the audio than the Yamaha as a result. The Yamaha I think records better, but my guess is the Schimmel sounds better in person. I'm a fan of a warmer sound than bright, but I love the feel of Yamahas.

Posted By: Monica K. Re: Recording yourself on video! - 10/23/09 04:03 PM
I think your Schimmel has a much mellower (and to me more pleasing) sound. The treble on the Yamaha was particularly strident, for want of a better word.
Posted By: Diane... Re: Recording yourself on video! - 10/23/09 04:27 PM
Chris!

Personally, I would like to see your position at the piano! Shoulders, arms, etc. I've seen your picture! Your's good looking guy. You have nothing to hide!

No pressure! Just what I can see! smile
Posted By: Chris H. Re: Recording yourself on video! - 10/23/09 06:32 PM
Diane, if I show that then I would have to make sure I sit properly instead of my usual lazy slouch! A haircut might be an idea too.

Actually I wasn't sure about doing this. I'm very shy you know. But then I did tell someone over on the ABF that they should show themselves in the video so I guess it's only fair. Not easy though. It's nice to hide off the screen.

Thanks for the comments on the pianos. I think I prefer the Schimmel in general although the action is quicker on the Yamaha. My camcorder really doesn't do either of them justice but I think I will go with the Schimmel anyway.
Posted By: Diane... Re: Recording yourself on video! - 10/23/09 08:55 PM
But then I did tell someone over on the ABF that they should show themselves in the video so I guess it's only fair. Not easy though. It's nice to hide off the screen.

You told someone else to show themselves in the video, and you don't do this yourself???

Glenn Gould never apologized for his posture! smile Come on Chris, it's not like we're asking you to wear a "3 piece suit"! Would be nice, but a nice shirt, and pants, will be fine! Looking forward to the WHOLE picture! grin
Posted By: Chris H. Re: Recording yourself on video! - 10/23/09 09:03 PM
I'll say maybe for now!
Posted By: Monica K. Re: Recording yourself on video! - 10/24/09 12:43 AM
The nice thing about your videos (and others like it), Chris, is that they show the hands at a close enough angle that you can see better how you're playing. So from a pedagogical perspective, your camera angle might be more helpful. But I do think if you're going to include this on your website to attract prospective students, you'd want to post a video that showed your head/face, too, so that you look approachable. smile
Posted By: Chris H. Re: Recording yourself on video! - 10/24/09 08:07 AM
But I do think if you're going to include this on your website to attract prospective students, you'd want to post a video that showed your head/face, too, so that you look approachable. smile

Well, if you think it will help with my marketing.......

Here goes....

[Linked Image]
Posted By: keyboardklutz Re: Recording yourself on video! - 10/24/09 08:15 AM
Shucks, now we can't see your hands!
Posted By: Chris H. Re: Recording yourself on video! - 10/24/09 03:07 PM
Okay, I'm not entirely comfortable with this but I'll give it a shot.

Here I am, warts and all.....

I tried to get a camera angle where you can still see enough hands. My playing is rough but it's the best I can do today. Memory is only just holding out on the fugue and my brain still feels like it's in the wrong key!

The sound seems to be worse this time, really bright.

I wouldn't mind comments on the articulations and tempos. The prelude was slightly slower this time and I played without any pedal except for a dab on the arpeggios at the end. In the fugue my RH is very dominant and the LH just doesn't come through with the theme so that needs sorting out. Excuse the odd blemish and uneven passages as I am only using this for practice at the moment.
Posted By: keyboardklutz Re: Recording yourself on video! - 10/24/09 03:23 PM
Very impressive. I can't help thinking that automatic volume control isn't helping. The fugue was accurate but I wonder if you understood it?
Posted By: AZNpiano Re: Recording yourself on video! - 10/24/09 03:30 PM
Nice work! I think the prelude's tempo is fine. I wouldn't play any faster than that. When I play it, I use more dynamic shading and bring out the sequences that are being passed between hands.

Your fugue is good! That fugue hasn't entered my repertoire, yet. I could imagine the inner voices articulating the subject a little louder. But I like how you kept the subjects consistent.
Posted By: Chris H. Re: Recording yourself on video! - 10/24/09 03:41 PM
I can't do anything about the auto volume. There is no way to switch it off with that camera.

kbk, it depends what you mean by "understood". Not in great depth at this stage as I am still trying to get round the notes. I can hear that it's breathless so I'm thinking you mean phrasing?
Posted By: Chris H. Re: Recording yourself on video! - 10/24/09 03:48 PM
I understand the triple counterpoint and the way the voices should form a dialogue in the episodes. At this point the only real analysis I have done is to find my subject and countersubjects and look at where the episodes are. What I haven't done yet is think about the harmony and how the theme can take a different character depending on the key and tonality.
Posted By: Chris H. Re: Recording yourself on video! - 10/24/09 04:07 PM
Now I'm thinking you might mean that it's a bit heavy handed where it should be light and playful?

Come on man........help me out. Don't leave me hanging in suspense!!
Posted By: keyboardklutz Re: Recording yourself on video! - 10/24/09 05:52 PM
I can hear that it's breathless so I'm thinking you mean phrasing?
Yes, but more as if you are its creator. We need to feel Bach's thought through you.
Posted By: Chris H. Re: Recording yourself on video! - 10/24/09 06:07 PM
I think I get what you mean.

I look like a typist punching in data. It's a bit mechanical.

I would be grateful if I could have a moment of what Bach thought!
Posted By: keyboardklutz Re: Recording yourself on video! - 10/24/09 06:52 PM
I would be grateful if I could have a moment of what Bach thought!
That's what it's all about.
Posted By: Monica K. Re: Recording yourself on video! - 10/24/09 07:15 PM
Okay, I'm not entirely comfortable with this but I'll give it a shot.

Here I am, warts and all.....

What warts?!? All I saw were some serious biceps! smile Do you work out or is all that from playing piano?

I do think the whole-body shots are good for your website, but you can always do a mixture of both. Save the 'close-ups of the hands' angle for pieces requiring flashy fingering.

I agree with you about the audio... my advice would be to pick up a H2 and edit your tapes. The improvement in sound quality would be well worth the hassle of editing.
Posted By: landorrano Re: Recording yourself on video! - 10/24/09 07:39 PM
Very interesting discussion.

It is sure that the recording makes a mash of things. It is a pity, because I think that your playing is better than it sounds here, Chris.

A remark, that I suspect is along the lines of what Klutz is thinking.

The right hand is constant. It is never more forte, nor more piano. Maybe it is the camera that does that. It gives the impression that there is one principal voice, instead of a fugue wherein the different voices succeed each other in taking up the theme.

But once again it may be the recording that flattens out your right hand.

Also, I find that the rhythmic constancy works to confound the voices.

Bach was a composer of cantatas for the chorale. All of his music is impregnated by this. Playing a fugue, the player must bring to life the entire chorale.
Posted By: Chris H. Re: Recording yourself on video! - 10/24/09 08:28 PM
Okay, thanks for the advice guys. I'll work on it.

Will post some more when I have got some better equipment for the audio.

Monica, serous biceps!!???

Must be from lifting all those pint glasses.
Posted By: Monica K. Re: Recording yourself on video! - 10/24/09 11:04 PM
For a musician, yes! laugh Maybe not a professional athlete. wink
Posted By: Canonie Re: Recording yourself on video! - 10/25/09 12:54 AM
All I saw were some serious biceps! smile Do you work out or is all that from playing piano?

Where are these biceps? I'm having trouble seeing them. Must be a technology problem this end.
Posted By: JWAbacus Re: Recording yourself on video! - 10/25/09 02:54 AM
Chris - This is impressive playing. I keep listening to it over and over again as it's quite compelling. I also read and analyze all of the accompanying comments and then relisten once again to try and understand the comment(s). Regretfully, I don't 'get' or 'understand' all of the comments at this time. In any event, it's an invaluable learning experience for me.

I am also following along in the score as I listen.

I find your piano quite bright, but I like that too; perhaps it's the acoustics of the room interacting with both the camera and the piano itself.

I wish I had more time to practice. Life is already so hectic with every waking moment occupied with ... oh ... school, hockey, volleyball, accompanying two school choirs (and just today adding a jazz choir as well), playing in two school bands, music history and harmony and piano practical lessons, and, what time is left, ... practicing piano. I'm lucky to get in an hour a day - and I actually like practicing now (rather than tolerating it as I have in the past). I also have a lot of friends that have other diverse interests.

Please keep on posting. All the very best!
Respectfully - even with a touch of wistfulness,
Josh
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums