New member playing Clementi sonata in F# minor

Posted by: Fordsnack

New member playing Clementi sonata in F# minor - 01/24/13 06:51 PM

Hey, Im new to the forum, but have been reading posts for a while. Some really useful information here. So thank you.

Life seems to have decided to make me a full time piano teacher, so that is what I do. And as I never took my grade 8, (or 6 or 7 for that matter) I have spent the last 2 years working towards it. Got the exam in March.... This is one of the pieces I am playing, Clementi Sonata in F# minor, op. 25 no. 5

criticism welcome smile

Andrew

http://youtu.be/-2mv9JjFaq4

Re: New member playing Clementi sonata in F# minor - 01/25/13 07:53 PM

just worked out how to embbed...
Posted by: Mark_C

Re: New member playing Clementi sonata in F# minor - 01/26/13 01:32 AM

Very nice! (I love this piece.)
And I think it works extremely well on that piano.

My only suggestion is that I think it would be better with a straighter rhythm. Not necessarily totally straight -- I like that you have flexibility, and that you really 'breathe' in the phrasing. (Pianists too often do the opposite, not 'breathing' enough!) But I think you're way overdoing it, and that it makes the listener be sort of off-balance waiting for the next notes. smile

I'd love to perform this piece some time, and I probably would have by now, if not for those 3rds and 6ths in the last movement. ha

Re: New member playing Clementi sonata in F# minor - 01/26/13 01:45 PM

Yes it is amazing piece, I think I could work on it for years trying to perfect it! I see what you mean with the 'breathing', I may have gone over the top with the 'con espressione'...

Ha, yea its just a case of working those fractures. my left hand doesnt always want to do those 3rds...