Kapustin Prelude in F major, Op. 53 No. 23

Posted by: Wiwi

Kapustin Prelude in F major, Op. 53 No. 23 - 02/01/10 04:36 AM

Me playing Kapustin Prelude Op. 53-23 in my studio.

On YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gv3ZLN0pyVI

On Vimeo:
http://vimeo.com/9124174
Posted by: Mark_C

Re: Kapustin Prelude in F major, Op. 53 No. 23 - 02/01/10 04:50 AM

Terrific! And what a great piece.....

BTW: I like your Scriabin etude Op. 8 #12 too.

Re: Kapustin Prelude in F major, Op. 53 No. 23 - 02/01/10 04:53 AM

Thanks! smile
Posted by: ab-ster

Re: Kapustin Prelude in F major, Op. 53 No. 23 - 02/01/10 10:31 AM

Wonderful, very inspiring. Are there any other Kapustins in the works? =)

I've been trying to learn no 7 for a long time but have been stuck on first page =( Now I'm inspired again to finish it.
Posted by: Mike White

Re: Kapustin Prelude in F major, Op. 53 No. 23 - 02/01/10 10:45 AM

Wow! That was very lively and fun to listen to.
Mike
Posted by: Inlanding

Re: Kapustin Prelude in F major, Op. 53 No. 23 - 02/01/10 10:53 AM

I've never heard that piece before. Lots going on there with that lively piece! A pleasure to watch your hands play it - really well done.

Glen

Re: Kapustin Prelude in F major, Op. 53 No. 23 - 02/01/10 11:33 AM

Originally Posted By: ab-ster
Wonderful, very inspiring. Are there any other Kapustins in the works? =)

I've been trying to learn no 7 for a long time but have been stuck on first page =( Now I'm inspired again to finish it.

Thank you all for watching.

I'm also working on Op. 40-7(Concert Etude) and Op. 41(Variations), but I found Op. 40-7's double thirds very frustrating, it's so difficult to play perfectly.
Posted by: pianoloverus

Re: Kapustin Prelude in F major, Op. 53 No. 23 - 02/01/10 01:58 PM

Bravo! Bravissimo!!

I've only heard a few of Kapustin's Etudes which I know I couldn't possibly play. But I hope to try this Prelude. Are there any other of his other preludes this level of difficulty or easier that you recommend?

Listening to the prelude, I kept on wondering about the distinction between classical and jazz. The prelude sounded to me like a written out "jazz" improvisation from some terrific jazz pianist. The theme could make a very nice song.

Do you teach in Taiwan? Where did you study piano? What make piano do you play in your videos?
Posted by: stores

Re: Kapustin Prelude in F major, Op. 53 No. 23 - 02/01/10 02:03 PM

Who publishes Kapustin by the way?
Posted by: stores

Re: Kapustin Prelude in F major, Op. 53 No. 23 - 02/01/10 02:06 PM

Originally Posted By: pianoloverus
Bravo! I've only heard a few of Kapustin's Etudes which I know I couldn't possibly play. But I hope to try this Prelude. Are there any other of his other preludes this level of difficulty or easier that you recommend?

Listening to the prelude, I kept on wondering about the distinction between classical and jazz. The prelude sounded to me like a written out "jazz" improvisation from some terrific jazz pianist.

Do you teach in Taiwan? Where did you study piano?

Kapustin, IS a mix of classical and jazz and his works are basically that...written out jazz improvs. Hamelin, has, at least, two recordings of his works and they're both very, very good.
Posted by: Erus

Re: Kapustin Prelude in F major, Op. 53 No. 23 - 02/01/10 02:22 PM

Originally Posted By: stores
Who publishes Kapustin by the way?

http://music-trading.co.uk/

Re: Kapustin Prelude in F major, Op. 53 No. 23 - 02/01/10 03:28 PM

Bravo! Bravissimo!!

I've only heard a few of Kapustin's Etudes which I know I couldn't possibly play. But I hope to try this Prelude. Are there any other of his other preludes this level of difficulty or easier that you recommend?

His Op. 53, which is "24 Preludes in Jazz Style", includes some pieces that are not unplayably difficult (but still moderately difficult). Also you can check out Op. 26, called "Sunrise", and Op. 41, "Variations", they should be both in the "playable" category.

Do you teach in Taiwan? Where did you study piano? What make piano do you play in your videos?

I studied at TNUA (Taipei National University of the Arts, http://www2.tnua.edu.tw/etnua/index.php), and yes, I teach in Taiwan. The piano I use is a Kawai KG-3D grand.
Posted by: HappyApple

Re: Kapustin Prelude in F major, Op. 53 No. 23 - 02/02/10 10:55 AM

Man, that was great! Such a relaxing mellow sound. The ending is incredible. Wow...more please!
Posted by: Damon

Re: Kapustin Prelude in F major, Op. 53 No. 23 - 02/06/10 11:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Wiwi
Me playing Kapustin Prelude Op. 53-23 in my studio.

On YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gv3ZLN0pyVI

On Vimeo:
http://vimeo.com/9124174

Very nice! I recognize you from the use of the sostenuto pedal. You posted a Scriabin etude awhile back. Is that something you came up with yourself or that peculiar exploitation taught in Taiwan?

Re: Kapustin Prelude in F major, Op. 53 No. 23 - 02/07/10 09:46 AM

Originally Posted By: Damon

Very nice! I recognize you from the use of the sostenuto pedal. You posted a Scriabin etude awhile back. Is that something you came up with yourself or that peculiar exploitation taught in Taiwan?

Thanks for watching! I think you meant una corda (left) pedal?

No, I was not taught to do that, it just my way of using it.

Basically I use the left pedal whenever I need a soft note, I kind of use it "note-by-note"-ly. (I don't know how to say that in English, I mean sometimes I use it on even only one or two particular notes, not necessarily on a whole section.)

It depends on the piano, too. My piano is 25 years old, so it has a very bright sound (stiff hammers), the una corda pedal dosen't soften the sound very much, so I'll use it more frequently on this piano.

Hope my English makes sense, if it doesn't you can correct me, thanks.
Posted by: Damon

Re: Kapustin Prelude in F major, Op. 53 No. 23 - 02/07/10 10:09 AM

Originally Posted By: Damon

Thanks for watching! I think you meant una corda (left) pedal?

You are right. I was having a Nyquil moment. blush

No, I was not taught to do that, it just my way of using it.

Basically I use the left pedal whenever I need a soft note, I kind of use it "note-by-note"-ly. (I don't know how to say that in English, I mean sometimes I use it on even only one or two particular notes, not necessarily on a whole section.)

It depends on the piano, too. My piano is 25 years old, so it has a very bright sound (stiff hammers), the una corda pedal dosen't soften the sound very much, so I'll use it more frequently on this piano.

Hope my English makes sense, if it doesn't you can correct me, thanks.

Your English is fine. In my youth, I learned on an upright and my only use for that pedal was as a volume control where I kept it pressed the entire time, so as not to interfere with conversations in the room. I like the effect you get with it, it's just odd to see the keybed move all the time. smile
I'd like to steal that idea, but my practice piano doesn't have an una corda pedal.
Posted by: David Burton

Re: Kapustin Prelude in F major, Op. 53 No. 23 - 02/26/10 04:21 AM

I FLAT OUT LOVE IT!
http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.ListAll&friendID=135609236

Re: Kapustin Prelude in F major, Op. 53 No. 23 - 03/04/10 03:00 PM

Originally Posted By: David Burton

I had similar feeling when I first heard Kapustin: "Somebody had finally done it!"