How Much Does It Cost?

Posted by: "Kim"ball

How Much Does It Cost? - 03/24/10 10:51 PM

Being totally new to Pianos. I was wondering roughly what a service call would run to have one tuned and just gone through over all? Mine is sounding ok, except 2 keys sound a bit off. I can't say for sure, but they just don't sound right!

I have a player piano so I would need someone that is skilled in that type of piano. What would a person like that run me??

I figured I would ask in here to give me an idea of what I will need to save up for! I did email a local place, but I just emailed them before I asked you guy's! I figured you guy's would be faster at giving me a rough estimate!! LOL

Thanks
Kim
Posted by: BDB

Re: How Much Does It Cost? - 03/24/10 11:10 PM

It would be faster if you telephoned people. Rates vary depending on locality, degree of competence, etc., not to mention the condition of the piano, and that there can be vast differences in the cost of taking care of the same symptom depending on the cause.
Posted by: 88Key_PianoPlayer

Re: How Much Does It Cost? - 03/25/10 04:43 AM

Rates vary widely. For example, I'm guessing that a simple tuning (assuming it has been tuned within the past year or less and doesn't have anything else wrong with it) could run anywhere from $80 to $200, and possibly outside that range a little in some places. If it hasn't been tuned in several years, I would guess at least half again as much or double.
If it needs minor repairs or adjustments that can be done in the home, it could run anywhere from maybe $30-40 for something relatively simple up to several hundred dollars if it will take several hours. (The cost of parts, I understand, is very insignificant compared to the cost of labor, but the vast majority of us on here do NOT recommend attempting to "do it yourself" - it would be much cheaper to have it properly done, than to try to do it yourself, do it wrong, and have to call someone to fix it.
If it needs extensive work that would take at least a few days and require moving the piano to the technician's shop, then you're talking at minimum in the hundreds, and more likely in the thousands of dollars, especially if it needs to be rebuilt (in which case it could possibly run into the tens of thousands if EVERYTHING is replaced).

BDB, was I anywhere close to the ballpark on the prices?
Posted by: "Kim"ball

Re: How Much Does It Cost? - 03/25/10 04:02 PM

Originally Posted By: 88Key_PianoPlayer
Rates vary widely. For example, I'm guessing that a simple tuning (assuming it has been tuned within the past year or less and doesn't have anything else wrong with it) could run anywhere from $80 to $200, and possibly outside that range a little in some places. If it hasn't been tuned in several years, I would guess at least half again as much or double.
If it needs minor repairs or adjustments that can be done in the home, it could run anywhere from maybe $30-40 for something relatively simple up to several hundred dollars if it will take several hours. (The cost of parts, I understand, is very insignificant compared to the cost of labor, but the vast majority of us on here do NOT recommend attempting to "do it yourself" - it would be much cheaper to have it properly done, than to try to do it yourself, do it wrong, and have to call someone to fix it.
If it needs extensive work that would take at least a few days and require moving the piano to the technician's shop, then you're talking at minimum in the hundreds, and more likely in the thousands of dollars, especially if it needs to be rebuilt (in which case it could possibly run into the tens of thousands if EVERYTHING is replaced).

BDB, was I anywhere close to the ballpark on the prices?

Thanks, that is what I was kind of looking for! Just a rough estimate.

As far as doing it myself, no way! LOL I wouldn't even think about doing that! It's over my head! LOL

Thanks again!