Rest in Peace Virgil Smith

Posted by: rysowers

Rest in Peace Virgil Smith - 09/27/10 07:24 PM

I just learned today that Virgil Smith passed away. I haven't heard any details yet, but I know he will be missed by many. I had a chance to visit with him when He came to Seattle several years ago to do an all day presentation for the Seattle PTG chapter. Some may remember when he did a couple of "Tune Offs" against Jim Coleman Sr.

Thanks Virgil!
Posted by: Silverwood Pianos

Re: Rest in Peace Virgil Smith - 09/27/10 07:57 PM

I am sorry to read this news Ryan. I did not have the good fortune to meet Virgil but managed to read a lot of his materials. We have lost a good one in the business for sure.

Thanks for keeping us up to date.
Posted by: Jerry Groot RPT

Re: Rest in Peace Virgil Smith - 09/27/10 10:04 PM

I had the privilege of attending some of his classes over the years. He was a great instructor, a good technician, teacher and tuner. I saw him at the convention in Grand Rapids too, or at least I think it was him in that wheel chair. Wasn't it Ryan? He was busy talking with someone. I didn't interrupt him and I doubt he would remember me anyway although, he might have remembered my dad as he also attended his classes.

Sad indeed. The tune offs were most interesting to read about in the journal.
Posted by: kpembrook

Re: Rest in Peace Virgil Smith - 09/27/10 10:09 PM

I was never happy with my tunings (on finer instruments) until I started doing Virgil's "open unison" tuning.
Posted by: Bob

Re: Rest in Peace Virgil Smith - 09/27/10 10:19 PM

That is indeed sad news. I gave Virgil a ride to a convention decades ago when I was a young tech. I picked his brain, and he let me sit on the bench beside him as he prepped a piano for one of his tuning classes. I learned so much that weekend. I will remember him with great fondness and respect.
Posted by: RPD

Re: Rest in Peace Virgil Smith - 09/27/10 11:19 PM

I never met the man, but having read his work in the Journal, and procured his book, he seemed like a person of depth and class.

We can never thank these people enough for all they do for the rest of us.

RPD
Posted by: Silverwood Pianos

Re: Rest in Peace Virgil Smith - 09/28/10 08:48 AM

As a matter of fact maybe we can thank them enough Rick; if we try to emulate Virgil’s work ethic and his generosity in sharing his knowledge to others that come after us....
Posted by: Les Koltvedt

Re: Rest in Peace Virgil Smith - 09/28/10 08:55 AM

Although I'm new to the field, I have heard and read of Virgil Smith and understood that he was an outstanding person.

Virgil, thank you for your energy and contributions to the field.
Posted by: RPD

Re: Rest in Peace Virgil Smith - 09/28/10 10:11 AM

Originally Posted By: Silverwood Pianos

As a matter of fact maybe we can thank them enough Rick; if we try to emulate Virgil’s work ethic and his generosity in sharing his knowledge to others that come after us....

Right on Dan!

RPD
Posted by: RonTuner

Re: Rest in Peace Virgil Smith - 10/09/10 05:13 PM

From the memorial service today:

http://ptg.org/pipermail/pianotech/attachments/20101009/c62a8381/attachment-0002.jpg

http://ptg.org/pipermail/pianotech/attachments/20101009/c62a8381/attachment-0003.jpg

Ron Koval
chicagoland
Posted by: showard

Re: Rest in Peace Virgil Smith - 10/10/10 07:49 AM

Virgil Smith occasionally did some tuning at the college where I attended and I recall one chapel service that I attended where Virgil had recently added some hammer hardener to the bass section of hammers on the Steinway D in the auditorium and was scheduled to come back to do some final voicing. Because no voicing had been done yet after the application of the hardener the tone was pretty bright on that section. After the first hymn, the President of the college who was leading the singing looked over at the pianist and exclaimed, "They must have put that piano on steroids".
Posted by: Sam Casey

Re: Rest in Peace Virgil Smith - 10/10/10 12:50 PM

Mid 1970's Virgil worked contract for Lyon & Healy and concert work for Steinway while I was doing some of the same for Baldwin in Chicago. Occasionally followed each other on the same piano. Gifted piano tech and good man. He will be missed.