Upright damper rod hinges

Posted by: David, Las Vegas

Upright damper rod hinges - 07/10/12 12:05 AM

Greetings,
I have broken pins from a upright damper rod. I can only find the barrel part for a replacement but the pin in the rod has broken. Are these pressed in? Anyone have to repair these before? I've inserted 2 pictures and I hope they show up.

Posted by: JackH

Re: Upright damper rod hinges - 07/10/12 01:04 AM

Hi David,
No picture came through. Tell us what kind of piano it is.
Maybe you can measure the diameter of the broken pin and make a new pin
using new round rod.
Posted by: Johnkie

Re: Upright damper rod hinges - 07/10/12 05:59 AM

David :

I take it you mean the L shaped pieces of steel on the damper lift rod ?

You will have to remove the damper lift and use a punch to remove the broken piece, then replace with a piece of silver steel of the same diameter. It would be best if the steel was a couple of thou larger than the hole on the damper lift rod, you would then be able to get a really tight fit by heating the rod before fitting ( cherry red to expand the hole)... and when cooled down you will have a nice tight interference fit.

If not using that method, then just secure things using a little lead solder.

Best wishes - John
Posted by: Jerry Groot RPT

Re: Upright damper rod hinges - 07/10/12 07:58 AM

Hi David,

If the "L" piece is just loose, that is, twists inside of the damper rod itself, you can have it welded. I've done that for almost 40 years and have never had one re-break again yet. I can't think for the life of me of the proper terminology (so what else is new) for the welding part of it but a good welder will know it.

I always explain that it is IMPERATIVE that it is welded perfectly straight!!! The L MUST line up with the other L's on the damper rod. The last thing we need is for that damper hanger to be crooked even by a tiny bit or dampers will not lift evenly.

Posted by: Chris Storch

Re: Upright damper rod hinges - 07/10/12 09:18 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5NPoXDXjUI

The PTG has a video on how to do this repair. Does this help?

Chris S.
Posted by: David, Las Vegas

Re: Upright damper rod hinges - 07/10/12 10:03 AM

Originally Posted By: Chris Storch
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5NPoXDXjUI

The PTG has a video on how to do this repair. Does this help?

Chris S.

Chris, This is exactly the issue I have. 2 of the 4 hooks have broken. I didn't think to see if the PTG video's had anything on this. It's on a Kimball spinet. My client uses it for choir practice in her home for the past year and frustrating the pianist. Thanks to everyone! Good advice!