Finally! A recording

Posted by: OperaTenor

Finally! A recording - 10/20/12 02:07 AM

One of my clients is the Ted Geisel(that's *the* Dr. Seuss, in case you didn't know) Director for Outreach at the San Diego Opera. He has two pianos at home; a 1912 M&H AA, and a 1980 Baldwin SF-7 he bought new. The AA is more a piece of furniture, and he plays the heck out of the SF-7 - that's the one I work on.

I recently resurfaced and needled the hammers, and touched up the tuning so a couple of friends from the SDO could do some recording today. They sent me one of the tracks, and *raved* about how the piano sounded.

Some Enchanted Evening

Enjoy!

Posted by: Rich D.

Re: Finally! A recording - 10/20/12 10:17 AM

Greatly enjoyed the piano and the singing. Thanks for positing.

Rich
Posted by: Cinnamonbear

Re: Finally! A recording - 10/20/12 10:29 AM

Originally Posted By: OperaTenor
Ted Geisel(that's *the* Dr. Seuss, in case you didn't know) [...]

Are you absolutely sure about that?

Loved the recording! Thanks for sharing it! thumb

Re: Finally! A recording - 10/20/12 10:47 AM

Originally Posted By: Cinnamonbear

Yes. Scroll down to the bottom of this page . He lived out his life after WWII in La Jolla, and they left an endowment to the SDO.

Dr. Suess

Thanks!
Posted by: Cinnamonbear

Re: Finally! A recording - 10/21/12 11:11 AM

Originally Posted By: Cinnamonbear

Yes. Scroll down to the bottom of this page . He lived out his life after WWII in La Jolla, and they left an endowment to the SDO.

Dr. Suess

Thanks!

My apologies, OT! I see I am a victim of inflection. I had read your sentence to say, "One of my clients is THE Ted Geisel (that's *the* Dr. Seuss, in case you didn't know) [pause] Director for Outreach at the San Diego Opera." As a children's librarian who was working at the time of the passing of "Dr. Seuss," I was a little confused about how Ted Geisel, *the* Dr. Seuss, could be the current Director of Outreach at the San Diego Opera! grin

Re: Finally! A recording - 10/21/12 12:02 PM

No worries. smile

Re: Finally! A recording - 10/24/12 07:42 PM

This was recently published, and shows how the piano sounded before it was voiced. The piano comes in at 15:47 in the video. And yes, B4 is a clunker - the piano is one of *those* Baldwins with the crappy pinblock, and that note was jumping when I tuned it.

San Diego Operatalk

Re: Finally! A recording - 11/16/12 01:06 AM

Here's a photo of the piano when the recording was made: