Weight of Yamaha CFIII lid

Posted by: wcctuner

Weight of Yamaha CFIII lid - 10/24/12 09:17 AM

Can anyone tell me the weight of a Yamaha CFIII lid. A request has come in to remove the lid for a composition recital here. I've already talked to the professor, and what the student will be doing is safe-not prepared piano. So, the question now is the weight of the lid, since it will need to be removed by our facilities crew, with me present.
Posted by: Jerry Groot RPT

Re: Weight of Yamaha CFIII lid - 10/24/12 11:47 AM

I don't know but, my guess would be 70-100 pounds??? Feels like about 6,000 after very long days... wink
Posted by: Supply

Re: Weight of Yamaha CFIII lid - 10/24/12 12:13 PM

A large lid like that requires at least two people to lift, and ideally three to play it safe, because of the size and bulkiness.

Whatever the weight, it is way less than three people can safely lift and carry. The size and bulk is the determining factor for the number of people you need.

Oh, and when you get it off, maybe you can put it on a bathroom scale and let us all know its weight?

Re: Weight of Yamaha CFIII lid - 10/24/12 07:48 PM

Thanks Jerry and Jurgen. I'm asking for two helpers, but because it needs to be put back on a Saturday, I might only get one.
Posted by: rxd

Re: Weight of Yamaha CFIII lid - 10/30/12 05:39 AM

Those requesting lid removal never think that it has to be put back.

We always use three people, the risk assessment people tell us so. Students are not allowed to help, insurance forbids it.
Sometimes this requires someone brought in, often on overtime.

The introduction of cost to this request will often cause those requesting lid removal to reassess the real need for it.

The last request I dealt with for lid removal, I referred to the artistic director who deemed unnecessary.

While a bit of 'heft' is necescessary, do these particular piano lids have to be so dangerously heavy???

Removal of the frontmost lid for two pianos in 69 position is perhaps the only legitimate reason. The lid of the rear piano acts, to a certain extent as a reflector for both. Sight lines with single pianos can be dealt with in other ways.

We do see it sometimes on television, along with the equally tasteless lid fully down, in situations where camera angles are more important than sound, which is dependent on microphones for broadcast and not acoustical considerations anyway.

Apart from which, it always, somehow, manages to looks amateurish, if not pretentious.
I point this out, too.

Posted by: BDB

Re: Weight of Yamaha CFIII lid - 10/30/12 12:50 PM

It takes more than one person to replace a lid, no matter how small the piano is.

Re: Weight of Yamaha CFIII lid - 10/30/12 03:27 PM

When I said one, I meant myself and one helper. I really want two others to help me, especially with a lid this large and heavy.

Re: Weight of Yamaha CFIII lid - 10/30/12 04:49 PM

Originally Posted By: BDB
It takes more than one person to replace a lid, no matter how small the piano is.
With a bit of technique and a moving pad, it can safely be done solo on small grands.
This is especially true for pianos with lighter lids, built before the era of medium and high density fibreboard.
Posted by: BDB

Re: Weight of Yamaha CFIII lid - 10/30/12 05:04 PM

Yes, but you should not tell people that. The odds of messing it up, even for someone experienced, are too great.

Re: Weight of Yamaha CFIII lid - 10/31/12 11:38 AM

Yes, you are correct. This is all strictly confidential. grin