Piano World Home Page
Posted By: Jun Arnao Need help on Hailun grand - 11/13/12 07:08 AM
Greetings!

I recently took delivery of a Hailun 178. We hired the services of a piano technician from out of town to set it up. It was uncrated and set up in my living room. The action was taken out and the restraining material were removed. Piano was tuned. AFter everything was done and the tech left I encountered sticking of a couple of keys which were side by side. I took out the action and saw this piece of wood laying between two hammer shanks:

[img:left][Linked Image][/img]

My question is: Can I throw this away? Or is it a recognizable part of the action, or a shim perhaps? Anyways, the piano plays fine without it.

May I beg your indulgence with one more question (please bear with me as there is no tech where I live):

After striking a key, the hammer is caught by the backcheck, and I expect that on partially releasing the key, the hammer should bob up as it is released by the backcheck and pushed by the repetition lever. I don't see this in my piano at all. Or is the movement supposed to be too little that it cannot be seen by the naked eye?
Posted By: Jun Arnao Re: Need help on Hailun grand - 11/13/12 10:21 AM
I've confirmed from the dealer that the piece of wood was part of the restraints.

Regarding the repetition, I've figured out that after partially releasing the key, I need to lightly press it down again to see if the hammer indeed bobs up to the drop position. And it does!

So everything's perfect. Case closed.
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums