Seperation of soundboard from frame

Posted by: TecFlip

Seperation of soundboard from frame - 11/16/12 07:23 PM

Come next week, I will have 3 days off from school and a lot of time on my hands. So, I'm going to attemp to make a string-type instrument. How do I get the soundboard off o the frame, an the ribs from the soundboard. Also, how do I get the pinblock off?
Posted by: BDB

Re: Seperation of soundboard from frame - 11/16/12 08:28 PM

I think you should start with a year of woodworking classes.
Posted by: kpembrook

Re: Seperation of soundboard from frame - 11/16/12 08:42 PM

Originally Posted By: BDB
I think you should start with a year of woodworking classes.

I agree -- at least with the general thought being expressed here.

If you think that the answers to these questions can be answered in a simple internet posting, that indicates your need to get more background on the subject.

It's kinda like posting a question on a car forum like, "I have the weekend free, how do I take out the engine and transmission from my car?"
Posted by: woodfab

Re: Seperation of soundboard from frame - 11/16/12 11:16 PM

Sawsall
Posted by: Gene Nelson

Re: Seperation of soundboard from frame - 11/17/12 12:06 PM

Could you describe the string type instrument you intend to make?
I assume you intend to use old pin block and sound board materials to make this insturment?
Posted by: Emmery

Re: Seperation of soundboard from frame - 11/17/12 03:34 PM

Considerring these parts often separate on their own with time its not difficult. A prybar with a sharpened end works good at prying stuff apart, a hammer & chisel will help too. If its an older instrument then likely that hide glue was used on lots of the parts and this glue is weaker than the wood. If all else fails follow the rule of; bigger hammer, bigger pry bar ect...

Re: Seperation of soundboard from frame - 11/17/12 11:50 PM

Wouldnt that kill the surounding wood? I plan on making a guitar-type insturment.
Posted by: Olek

Re: Seperation of soundboard from frame - 11/18/12 01:03 AM

Originally Posted By: Emmery
Considerring these parts often separate on their own with time its not difficult. A prybar with a sharpened end works good at prying stuff apart, a hammer & chisel will help too. If its an older instrument then likely that hide glue was used on lots of the parts and this glue is weaker than the wood. If all else fails follow the rule of; bigger hammer, bigger pry bar ect...

One of the hide glues I use chip the glass . Obviously harder than wood. But can be moistened to make it softer even if it may take some time and a wetting agent.
Posted by: Supply

Re: Seperation of soundboard from frame - 11/18/12 02:06 PM

You don't need to tear apart a piano to make a "guitar-type" instrument. It is a lot more work to start by trying to salvage wood. Your three days off school could be spent actually constructing something, instead fo trying to de-construct something else. Depends on what you are really into, I guess...
Posted by: daniokeeper

Re: Seperation of soundboard from frame - 11/18/12 03:37 PM

If you do decide to disassemble a piano, make sure to follow proper procedure for lowering the tension.. for your own safety.

The way I was taught was to keep going right to left. Start with the top row of pins and work your way through the bass R to L. Then, the middle pins R to L (bottom row R to L in bass). Then,finally, the bottom row R to L.

Disclaimer: If you do decide to do this, any actions are at your own risk. I assume no responsibility. The above directions are posted for informational purposes only.
Posted by: Zeno Wood

Re: Seperation of soundboard from frame - 11/18/12 04:05 PM

Well, good luck. Post a video of whatever you come up with.

Seriously though, eye protection is VERY VERY important.
Posted by: Gene Nelson

Re: Seperation of soundboard from frame - 11/18/12 10:23 PM

www.grizzley.com
they have loads of guitar components, kits, woods etc.
You did not say if your project guitar is acoustic or electric.
The piano soundboard is likely 8 to 9.5 mm thick. It will be no easy task to thin it down.
Did you know the piano soundboard is quarter sawn - is that what you want for your project?
What did you have in mind to do with the old pin block? It is mostly holes.
Posted by: Olek

Re: Seperation of soundboard from frame - 11/19/12 07:30 AM

It should be cheaper to buy some wood to construct an instrument.
Posted by: ando

Re: Seperation of soundboard from frame - 11/19/12 08:00 AM

Originally Posted By: Kamin
It should be cheaper to buy some wood to construct an instrument.

Yes, much easier too.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Guitar-Luthie...=1#ht_500wt_890

Re: Seperation of soundboard from frame - 11/22/12 09:06 AM

Well, i did it. And all i came up with was a new workbench. It was a wurli from the 60's and that soundboard didn't want to let go. Most of it was cracked through anyways. I just used the fallboard and another piece of wood for the work area. The holes for the tuning pins are great for hanging things on. I think when i get the money, im just going to order an acoustic kit from StewMac. I appreciate everything everyone said!