Keyboard shifts left

Posted by: Olek

Keyboard shifts left - 11/24/12 08:04 AM

I worked on a old NY S&S. the UC is going left (so all hammers have to be centered left, the opposite of what is done usually)

Was it done for a long time on the NY Steinways that one is 1878, new board and pinblock new hammers and shanks new damper felts, then no other work all other parts left untouched (surprise !)
Posted by: Jerry Cohen, RPT

Re: Keyboard shifts left - 11/24/12 02:23 PM

Kamin,

I have a customer with an S/S B from 1881, and it also shifts to the left.
I have another customer with an 1884 B, but I do not remember which way it shifts.
I can check the next time I tune the piano.

Re: Keyboard shifts left - 11/24/12 05:40 PM

Thanks, I am just curious, I did see just once that inverted shifting (may be also on a Chickering if memory serves)
Posted by: BDB

Re: Keyboard shifts left - 11/24/12 07:31 PM

Hardman grands shifted left.
Posted by: Supply

Re: Keyboard shifts left - 11/24/12 08:41 PM

Isn't that illegal nowadays in the USA??
Posted by: BDB

Re: Keyboard shifts left - 11/24/12 08:50 PM

The Republicans lost the election.
Posted by: Del

Re: Keyboard shifts left - 11/24/12 09:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Supply

Only if you're a member of the Tea Party....

Seriously -- a number of early (mid- and late-1800s and into the beginning of the 1900s had left-shifting keyframes.

I'm not sure it really made any difference in terms of function. It has long been my impression -- I don't know if it was something I was told years back or if I came up with it on my own -- that the practice ended because of shipping problems. Grands are shipped on their bass (left) side and the action would bounce up and down against the shift return spring sometimes causing damage to various action parts.

ddf
Posted by: accordeur

Re: Keyboard shifts left - 11/24/12 09:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Del
Originally Posted By: Supply

Only if you're a member of the Tea Party....

Seriously -- a number of early (mid- and late-1800s and into the beginning of the 1900s had left-shifting keyframes.

I'm not sure it really made any difference in terms of function. It has long been my impression -- I don't know if it was something I was told years back or if I came up with it on my own -- that the practice ended because of shipping problems. Grands are shipped on their bass (left) side and the action would bounce up and down against the shift return spring sometimes causing damage to various action parts.

ddf

Makes a lot of sense.
Posted by: Loren D

Re: Keyboard shifts left - 11/24/12 09:55 PM

That does make sense, Del. A lot of small old Wurlitzer grands also shifted to the left.
Posted by: Dale Fox

Re: Keyboard shifts left - 11/25/12 01:58 AM

Originally Posted By: Loren D
That does make sense, Del. A lot of small old Wurlitzer grands also shifted to the left.

But who would have known if they had been damaged in transit?

Re: Keyboard shifts left - 11/25/12 07:31 AM

Originally Posted By: Dale Fox

Wouldn't everyone have known?

Re: Keyboard shifts left - 11/25/12 08:40 AM

Thank you for the answer, and yes the explanation make sence...

Regards

Re: Keyboard shifts left - 11/25/12 09:00 AM

Wouldn't everyone have known?

I think the point is that an undamaged Wurlitzer grand and a damaged Wurlitzer grand would have played about the same.

And in some cases I suppose this might have been true but I've also worked on quite a few Wurlitzer grands that, with just a little bit of effort, were quite decent instruments.

ddf
Posted by: Dale Fox

Re: Keyboard shifts left - 11/25/12 11:31 AM

And I was trying to be so obvious. Thanks for the clarification Del. Loren, I DO worry about your sense of humor. <grin>

Re: Keyboard shifts left - 11/25/12 11:46 AM

And I was trying to be so obvious. Thanks for the clarification Del. Loren, I DO worry about your sense of humor. <grin>

As with other senses it gets dimmer over time....

ddf

Re: Keyboard shifts left - 11/25/12 11:51 AM

Dale, don't give up your day job. :p
Posted by: Jerry Groot RPT

Re: Keyboard shifts left - 11/25/12 08:32 PM

Does it make you think Dale, that some of us might be a little bit "shifty?" hehe, sorry, can't resist a good pun!!!