Looking to buy a vintage Hale extension lever + #3 tip

Posted by: Robert A.

Looking to buy a vintage Hale extension lever + #3 tip - 11/28/12 07:44 AM

Hi there, I'm looking to buy an old Hale (pre Schaff) extension lever. Not the really old ones that don't accept modern Schaff tips though. I wonder if any of you have one sitting in a drawer somewhere and might be willing to part with it. If you could accomodate, I'd also like an additional vintage Hale #3 tip or a modern Watanabe #3 tip (Haven't been able to find those anywhere).

I'd love to see photos as well. Name your price and I'll consider!
Posted by: Dave B

Re: Looking to buy a vintage Hale extension lever + #3 tip - 11/28/12 07:31 PM

Since when can you put a Schaff tip on a Hale hammer?
Posted by: David Jenson

Re: Looking to buy a vintage Hale extension lever + #3 tip - 11/28/12 09:11 PM

If I'm not mistaken, the lever/head attachments at the time were all 1/8" pipe thread and the tips were interchangeable.

Re: Looking to buy a vintage Hale extension lever + #3 tip - 11/28/12 10:20 PM

After a certain point, yes. The really old (late 19th / early 20th century) ones didn't have a modern standardized threading, though, and in fact I think some tips even had male threading. But the later pre-Schaff Hale tips can accept modern Schaff and Watanabe tips if I'm not mistaken.

To clarify the original post, I'm looking mostly for a lever; I can find a #3 tip elsewhere if any of you just wanna get rid of a lever.
Posted by: Mark R.

Re: Looking to buy a vintage Hale extension lever + #3 tip - 11/29/12 01:29 AM

Robert,

Failing all else, you can actually get new Watanabe tips (no. 1, 2 and 3) directly from the manufacturer. Here's the no.3:
http://www.watanabemusical.com/products/details/index.html?id=jr1278938257

People on this forum have bought directly from Watanabe - and found that the supplier is reliable. (See my recent thread about "Ordering parts directly from Watanabe".)

Re: Looking to buy a vintage Hale extension lever + #3 tip - 11/29/12 02:08 AM

Thanks very much! I will check that out. I've tried to order directly from them before, but I seem to recall the order form uses a drop-down box with only Japanese provinces for delivery addresses. I'll look at your post; thanks again!
Posted by: Mark R.

Re: Looking to buy a vintage Hale extension lever + #3 tip - 11/29/12 04:24 AM

Just to clarify: I didn't buy from Watanabe, but ended up buying from Steve Fujan (fujanproducts.com) - but others have indicated that they have successfully bought supplies from Watanabe.

By the way, I've just checked: Steve has the #3 Watanabe tip:
http://www.fujanproducts.com/watanabecomponents.php

That's probably your easiest option, with cheap shipping inside the U.S.

Re: Looking to buy a vintage Hale extension lever + #3 tip - 11/29/12 11:35 AM

Thanks much! I found them tucked away in the Fujan store after reading your post and sent away for a #2 last night. Will test it out on another piano and guage how I like it.