Harpsichord Tuning

Posted by: Mark Davis

Harpsichord Tuning - 12/07/12 02:17 PM

Please can anyone who has experience in tuning harpsichords, explain to me the method and technique/s to go about this.

Replies can be on the forum or via PM.

Thank you,

Regards,

Re: Harpsichord Tuning - 12/07/12 02:51 PM

Sorry, I should have searched the net before posting here.

I found some info on the web.

No need to post here.

Thank you,

Regards,
Posted by: BDB

Re: Harpsichord Tuning - 12/07/12 03:00 PM

There are a lot of variables, as there are a lot of different harpsichords. The first thing you need is the proper tools. Then you need the proper technique, depending on whether there are modern pins, unthreaded pins, or conical pins. The instrument needs to work properly, which is often a problem. The little work I have done on harpsichords makes me appreciate pianos all the more.

Re: Harpsichord Tuning - 12/07/12 03:33 PM

Thank you BDB

The client that told me about their harpsichord may get someone else that actually tunes harpsichords to tune it for her, so I may not get to tune one in the end.
Posted by: Olek

Re: Harpsichord Tuning - 12/07/12 03:42 PM

No pin setting, no stretch (no noticeable stretch, that make sit difficult for piano tuners at first, then it is less tiring than pianos)

the instrument moves easily so you better stop breathing.

The fun thing is to tune for the same concert an harpsichord plus an organ, in a cold church that will be heated later...

I had less good results with ETD than by ear, did not understand why exactly, but a nice acoustically just 5th sound better by ear than with edt in my experience