Remove mute bar before tuning?

Posted by: Edtek

Remove mute bar before tuning? - 01/27/13 04:44 PM

Do you usually remove the mute bar (the bar with the felt curtain that drops down) before tuning?
Posted by: BDB

Re: Remove mute bar before tuning? - 01/27/13 04:58 PM

Always.
Posted by: Edtek

Re: Remove mute bar before tuning? - 01/27/13 05:42 PM

Tnx BDB. I figured as much. I removed it. Now I just have to worry about not dropping the tiny screws when I reassemble it.
Posted by: David Boyce

Re: Remove mute bar before tuning? - 01/27/13 05:43 PM

If it's one that drops down, yes, because it will almost always get in the way. In old English overdamper pianos, its comes up from below (instead of a half-blow pedal), and sometimes doesn't get in the way and can be left in place.
Posted by: BDB

Re: Remove mute bar before tuning? - 01/27/13 05:50 PM

You do not need to remove any screws from recent Yamahas. There is one screw that you loosen on the end that is attached to the pedal, and the bar lifts up, leaving the mechanism behind.
Posted by: Supply

Re: Remove mute bar before tuning? - 01/27/13 08:29 PM

How can you tune the piano with the rail installed????
If the mute rail presents itself as an obstacle, you are in for real "fun" when you begin to try to tune your own piano....
Posted by: Jbyron

Re: Remove mute bar before tuning? - 01/27/13 10:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Supply
How can you tune the piano with the rail installed????
If the mute rail presents itself as an obstacle, you are in for real "fun" when you begin to try to tune your own piano....

I second that. Sheesh, at least read a book about tuning or have a lesson or two before you ruin your piano. I hope it's your piano.