Recommend books on piano cleaning, maintenance & repair?

Posted by: nauru

Recommend books on piano cleaning, maintenance & repair? - 01/27/13 05:46 PM

I'm just wondering if people could please recommend some books on

piano cleaning
piano maintenance
piano repair
piano refurbishment/rebuilding

(one book doesn't need to cover all of these topics; just one topic for a book would be plenty, or if you have some other combination in mind, I'm flexible.)

Also it would be great if you could provide a non-trivial reason that you are recommending the book over all the others that are out there.

I've seen a huge list on this site but would prefer to start from recommendations rather than just hunting down random books.

I've got 25 years of experience playing, but never really put that much thought into cleaning, maintenance, repair and refurbishment/rebuilding (besides dusting the top and wiping down the keys grin ). So I'm looking to learn the 'best practices' for fixing common pianos (primarily upright, but also grand) on site without the use full-service workshop or strange tools.

Yes I know there's stuff that can't be learned from books, no I'm not going to go try and repair $100k instruments next weekend, yes I will start with a beater that I won't be distraught about if it becomes more badly damaged than it is currently, yadda yadda yadda and other disclaimers.

Thanks!
Posted by: David Boyce

Re: Recommend books on piano cleaning, maintenance & repair? - 01/27/13 06:54 PM

I think the Haynes Piano Manual would be good for what you want. Amazon in the UK currently have it on sale at a reduced price too!
It's nicely illustrated with full colour throughout. You can read a review of it on my website. For a piano owner rather than a student piano technician, its probably more accessible than the Reblitz book which is the standard text.
Posted by: miscrms

Re: Recommend books on piano cleaning, maintenance & repair? - 01/27/13 11:45 PM

I'm just diving in myself, but have just read the Reblitz book cover to cover after it was recommended by many on this forum, and really enjoyed it. Very informative read, and I can see it being an invaluable reference in the future. Best $20 I've spent in a while!
Rob