Mason and Hamlin trapwork parts

Posted by: rholsen

Mason and Hamlin trapwork parts - 01/28/13 06:44 PM

I am looking for a trapwork part for a 69 Mason & Hamlin Model A. It's the part of the assembly which works the damper pedal. It looks to be made of cast iron. It has the number 65932 stamped into it, which could be a part number. Someone answering email at Mason & Hamlin said they didn't have that part available. Before I take the piece to a local welder for evaluation I thought I would ask here in case one of you can advise me where I might find a replacement. I will attempt to link an image here. Thanks! [img]https://plus.google.com/photos/112455459...CKykutynzdK-tgE[/img]
Posted by: BDB

Re: Mason and Hamlin trapwork parts - 01/30/13 02:29 AM

I was thinking about this, and was wondering whether you tried Schaff. The supplies of Aeolian American were bought by APSCO, which in turn was bought by Schaff.

Otherwise, I would try a blacksmith. It might be easier to forge a new one, rather than repair the old one. It would definitely be stronger.
Posted by: Craig Hair

Re: Mason and Hamlin trapwork parts - 01/30/13 07:28 AM

Thats a part designed for a reproducer, so I doubt that it is available.
Take it to a smith. The break looks clean. The repair should be easily strong enough. That type of damage generally happens during a move.
Posted by: Silverwood Pianos

Re: Mason and Hamlin trapwork parts - 01/30/13 10:04 AM

Not an often purchased part.

The grand damper lever from APSCO now sold by Schaff (part#1074)does not have the large tab in the middle of the length.

Pot metal such as these levers or pedal sets can be brazed successfully today. That would be the cheapest route.

Re: Mason and Hamlin trapwork parts - 01/30/13 10:40 AM

Mason & Hamlin was not making reproducers in 1969. I do not think that shift levers were ever made of pot metal. Schaff may have some things which are not in the catalog, and in any case, it does no harm to ask.
Posted by: Del

Re: Mason and Hamlin trapwork parts - 01/30/13 12:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Silverwood Pianos
Pot metal such as these levers or pedal sets can be brazed successfully today. That would be the cheapest route.

The material will be 30K gray iron. It would have been cast at either the Wickham or OS Kelly foundry of the same iron used in the plate.

ddf
Posted by: Dave Stahl

Re: Mason and Hamlin trapwork parts - 01/30/13 12:43 PM

I recently had an una corda trap lever welded, and it's probably stronger now than it was before. I think that would be far cheaper. My guess is $40-$50.

Re: Mason and Hamlin trapwork parts - 01/30/13 12:53 PM

Here in Oakland we have The Crucible, where I bet one could get a student to forge one cheap.

Re: Mason and Hamlin trapwork parts - 01/30/13 05:01 PM

Originally Posted By: BDB
Mason & Hamlin was not making reproducers in 1969.

No they weren't. But many design aspects of the reproducer era continued on in a vestigial fashion. Primary example: the beam configuration. The single beam down the center of the case with branching posts was an adaptation to make room for the player motor and such. This constituted a sacrifice of radial structure. We saw the first Haverill Mason going down the line, and I was dismayed to see that the beams were for a player. This meant that Mason had pulled out the plans for the last produced piano rather than going back further to a more pure design.

Re: Mason and Hamlin trapwork parts - 01/30/13 06:12 PM

In any case, that is not what they used for reproducers. I tuned an ex-Ampico Mason & Hamlin RT today, and the shift lever is much different.

Re: Mason and Hamlin trapwork parts - 01/31/13 08:31 AM

I don't think that that is the shift lever. Didn't he say it was part of the damper system?
Posted by: David, Las Vegas

Re: Mason and Hamlin trapwork parts - 01/31/13 10:14 AM

I had to make a una corda lever for an older Kawai that was in a church. The cast iron original had snapped and no replacement was available. The only piece that remained was half a lever. I used pinblock material and copied the half that I had and sculpted the rest to facilitate the pedal rod action. I coated it several times with epoxy to give it additional strength. That was about 5 years ago and the piano is still the primary instrument every sunday.
Posted by: Silverwood Pianos

Re: Mason and Hamlin trapwork parts - 01/31/13 10:32 AM

Originally Posted By: Craig Hair
I don't think that that is the shift lever. Didn't he say it was part of the damper system?

Correct. The tab on the length drives the pitman vertically.

Re: Mason and Hamlin trapwork parts - 01/31/13 10:57 AM

The damper pedal trap work on the RT is even less like that.
Posted by: David, Las Vegas

Re: Mason and Hamlin trapwork parts - 01/31/13 11:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Silverwood Pianos
Originally Posted By: Craig Hair

Correct. The tab on the length drives the pitman vertically.

Oops, my mistake. I'll save this for another thread.

Re: Mason and Hamlin trapwork parts - 02/01/13 07:26 AM

Upon reflection , I must concede.
BDB is correct.