Need Chicago Technician

Posted by: hotcat

Need Chicago Technician - 02/10/13 11:42 PM

So, I am on the verge of purchasing a new Estonia L190 but would like a technician to look it over first, out of an abundance of caution. Problem is, the piano is in Chicago (Cordigans), but I live in St. Louis, so I don't know who to call. I want a really good technician, with no conflict of interest and preferably one who has experience with Estonias. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

After reading about some others' bad experiences with overtones, I thought I should get a professional opinion. I thought the piano sounded great but I'm just an amateur player.
Posted by: kpembrook

Re: Need Chicago Technician - 02/10/13 11:52 PM

Look up the Piano Technicians Guild website and choose the find a technician widget in the upper right corner. www.ptg.org

Enter the zip code of the store and then look at the specialties of the RPT technicians that are listed. I'd suggest selecting someone that specializes in regulating and voicing or rebuilding.
Posted by: ClsscLib

Re: Need Chicago Technician - 02/11/13 08:22 AM

If this were my issue, I would contact Ron Koval to see if he could help or offer a suggestion: http://www.ronkoval.com/
Posted by: TunerJeff

Re: Need Chicago Technician - 02/11/13 12:08 PM

I would suggest Paul Revenko-Jones, RPT. He is an accomplished technician and is the executive director of the Chicago School for Piano Technology. His piano service and rebuilding is top-notch. You can find him at 'Music of the Spheres PianoWorks'; motspheres.com

If he cannot help directly, he will know who can offer the service you need. Good fellow. Met him at conventions for the PTG, where he has often been an instructor.

Ben Gac, RPT is an instructor at Chicago School and may be able to help, too. He is the local coordinator for the Piano Technicians Guild convention this year...which happens to be in Chicago. There should be 500 or so technicians from around the country (...and the world) there this summer.
Posted by: RonTuner

Re: Need Chicago Technician - 02/11/13 02:39 PM

Paul and Ben are excellent, but neither may want to travel that far... it's even a bit far for me! David Graham, RPT is out that way and very experienced with performance-level instruments.

PM me if you would like!

Ron Koval
Posted by: hotcat

Re: Need Chicago Technician - 02/12/13 09:15 PM

Thanks all, so helpful! I have Alan Zajicek going in to look at the Estonia on Thursday morning. I hope it goes OK!