Piano World Home Page
Posted By: daniokeeper Free Piano Tuning Software for Windows - 03/11/13 02:42 AM
There seems to be free (as in beer) piano tuning software available at sourceforge.

I have not used it on a piano yet, so I do not know the quality.

If anyone else is interested in experimenting, here is the link:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ultratune/?source=dlp

Note: I installed this on my netbook. After installation, I had error messages about Microsoft.DirectX.directsound

I updated my system and updated DirectX. It seems to be working.

Edit: To start the program in v0.2.0 this is the path:

UltraTune.v0.2.0 > UltraTune > bin > Release > UltraTune.v0.2.0 > UltraTune.v0.2

You may get a prompt asking for permission to unzip other files.

Also, I do get some error messages. Of course, this is only v0.2

Edit: It had to happen. Sooner or later someone would come up with a freeware version of piano tuning software including stretch.
Posted By: DoelKees Re: Free Piano Tuning Software for Windows - 03/11/13 03:30 AM
Thanks for posting this link. I've been looking for something like this to try out my crazy theories for a while.

Too bad it's written in M$C# which I don't know very well.

Kees
Hi Kees,

I only had some Java and some C++.Net courses. I need lots and lots of comments laugh smile The project seems to be GPL'ed, which is awesome!

Now if I could just find GNU/Linux piano tuning software, I'd be walking on air smile

Of course if this works out, I may have to just use software for pitch raises, and then go back to aural only for fine tuning in order to justify my existence LOL!

-Joe

Edit: In fact, I think I'll be editing my web-site in the next few days...

Since this has been and is inevitable, soon anyone will be able to download advanced piano tuning software for no cost.

I'm going to get out ahead of this, since it's obvious what's coming. I am changing my approach to using software just for pitch raises and setting UTs. All final passes will be made by ear... old school.

Besides, as I noticed in my "Experiment" thread, there are times when I need to use my ear anyhow. I'll start representing the lineage of the particular training I received years ago, rather than a more generic tuning style that an ETD gives. Maybe this is a good thing ultimately. smile

Then, I'll record the variations from the machine-generated placements for the A's. That way, I can still monitor for any undue changes that will act as a warning that the piano could be developing problems.
Took a look....that spinner looks like an exact copy of the Veritner Ipad spinner?!
Originally Posted by Grandpianoman
Took a look....that spinner looks like an exact copy of the Veritner Ipad spinner?!

Yes, it does. And the lower display looks a lot like TuneLab.
It will be interesting to see if this gets used by pianist in the future to tune their own piano. Could mean a lot of extra repair work in the future(especially replacing broken strings). I wonder if Verituner/Cybertuner/Tunelab will end up doing something different to stay competitive.
Originally Posted by pianotune2
It will be interesting to see if this gets used by pianist in the future to tune their own piano. Could mean a lot of extra repair work in the future(especially replacing broken strings). I wonder if Verituner/Cybertuner/Tunelab will end up doing something different to stay competitive.

I also wonder if developments like this will create the demand that will lead piano manufacturers to begin designing pianos that are simpler for the layperson to tune.
Posted By: RonTuner Re: Free Piano Tuning Software for Windows - 03/11/13 06:34 PM
There doesn't seem to be any controls... I see it displaying an iH number when I sing, I'll have to go play with a real piano sometime.

Off to find a link for a user guide.

Posted By: fishbulb Re: Free Piano Tuning Software for Windows - 03/11/13 06:41 PM
Originally Posted by Grandpianoman

Originally Posted by daniokeeper
Yes, it does. And the lower display looks a lot like TuneLab.

Hope the developer of this UltraTune software doesn't get sued by Verituner and/or TuneLab for what could appear to be copyright infringement - that is, copying the software interface design.

There have been many big lawsuits about copying Graphical User Interfaces (GUIs) in the past, such as this famous one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Computer,_Inc._v._Microsoft_Corporation

If the developer is reading this:

I would recommend changing the interface to make it more distinct from those other products. Verituner/Tunelab/et al. will already have a strong desire to sue and remove this free substitute product from the market. If they think the GUI is a copy of their products, then they will have a basis for a lawsuit as well.
Originally Posted by RonTuner
There doesn't seem to be any controls... I see it displaying an iH number when I sing, I'll have to go play with a real piano sometime.

Off to find a link for a user guide.

It's only version 0.2.0. Improvements are probably on their way.
Posted By: BenP Re: Free Piano Tuning Software for Windows - 03/11/13 08:07 PM
Originally Posted by pianotune2
It will be interesting to see if this gets used by pianist in the future to tune their own piano.

I don't think so. From my experience with pianists (and I have been a pianist much longer than I've been a piano technician), 90% do not care much at all about the mechanics of their instruments, and do not want to be bothered with fixing or tuning it themselves. Much like vehicle owners - probably 90% of whom don't know/care enough about the mechanics of their car to fix it or do routine maintenance themselves. That's not an insult to anyone's intelligence - it's just a matter of time and priorities.

Tuning an acoustic piano will always be a difficult and time-consuming task - especially for the inexperienced. New tools and software may make the job possible for more people, but it will not make it that much easier or faster. The piano owners that will play around with this software will probably be mostly the same people that tinker around with their piano anyway - because it interests them.
I have tried 5 times to download this and run it on both my netbook and desktop. Netbook is windows 7 64 bit, desktop win 7 32 bit. BOTH ran into 'unexpected error' and would not unpack. What am I doing wrong?
That's odd. It's just a zip file. I had no problems.

Edit: Maybe the file got messed up when it was downloaded. You could try deleting the zip file you have, and the downloading it again.
Posted By: Mwm Re: Free Piano Tuning Software for Windows - 03/12/13 02:26 AM
I have the same problem. tried several times to run file. Got the same error. I have latest windows updates.
Good old XP!
Ther is a new version available:

v0.2.1
Posted By: fishbulb Re: Free Piano Tuning Software for Windows - 03/18/13 09:25 PM
Another new version, v0.2.3 is available, with better bass note detection.

Changelog:

Version 0.2.3: - Note detection is improved by penalizing peaks outside the partial windows for a fundamental candidate. This is particularly noticeable for the lowest notes, which are now detected better.

Version 0.2.2: - Stretch tuning targets are now calculated by first generating tuning targets for each note using octaves. Currently the way this is done is fixed. 2:1 octaves are used for the temperament octave, smoothly progressing to 4:1 octaves to C8, and 8:4 octaves for A0. In the future, this will be made adjustable. - The tuning targets are then smoothed to reduce the irregularity between notes (and thus also the irregularity between adjacent intervals).

Version 0.2.1: - Solved a bug where inharmonicity data was not collected correctly if the fundamental was not detected. Inharmonicity data is now collected correctly if 2 or more partials (or 1 partial and the fundamental) are detected.

Version 0.2: - Inharmonicity detector detects the inharmonicity of the sounded note by analysing its partials. - Stretch tuning mode allows the use of the inharmonicity data to create a stretched tuning. - Automatic note selection allows hands free usage. In this version the automatic note selection is still somewhat buggy on the lowest notes of the piano. Future updates will hopefully resolve these problems.

Version 0.1: - Live spectrum display - High precision (<0.2 Hz) tuning dial, displaying tuning offset in cents. - Room noise reduction
It appears to me to be Beta so I'll keep playing with it.
Posted By: fishbulb Re: Free Piano Tuning Software for Windows - 03/20/13 03:30 PM
Ultratune Version v0.2.4 just got posted:

Version 0.2.4 - The graphical design of the user interface is now more distinct

It looks like the author changed the interface a bit so it looks less like Verituner now. Probably a good thing from a legal standpoint.

[Linked Image]

One feature request I would have (if the developer is reading this) is support for non-standard ("offset") tunings. In TuneLab, you can set the base offset to, say, -100 cents, so that you can tune a piano a semi-tone low. Or -50 cents, for a quarter-tone low, or -19.78 cents so A5=435hz instead of 440hz if you are tuning a victorian piano. Setting a base offset changes the entire tuning so that all notes are now targeting the new frequencies. TuneLab also has a single-note offset setting if you want to just change the tuning target of one note.
Posted By: filiptb Re: Free Piano Tuning Software for Windows - 03/21/13 01:44 PM
Since this software is being discussed here I figured that I'd make an account here as well. I am the developer of this software.

While I do not have a lot of experience in piano tuning, I do have considerable knowledge about signal processing and programming, as well as the physics of strings that cause their inharmonicity. I try to read as much as possible about how experienced tuners create the stretch in a piano -- but I might have some questions in the future, so it is nice that I found this forum.

The features you are requesting will eventually come (especially needed are pitch calibration/offset tunings and manual adjustment of the stretch). However, I want to make the pitch detection more accurate first, before I do anything else -- I want to get this down to sub-cent accuracy. Currently the accuracy is ~1 ct at A440, which is about 0.2 Hz. Tuning with this accuracy would be very close, but would prevent you from attaining a perfect tuning.

I have found a possible solution to it but the mathematics are really complex -- I'll have to figure those out first. (For those who are interested and learned in the subject, I want to try windowing the frequency domain information around specific peaks/partials, then find the center of gravity of the peak to determine the actual frequency. Right now I just choose the frequency with the highest magnitude. I'm still figuring out how I should process the phase information.)

The interface has indeed been changed due to possible copyright claims, and the old interface has been made unavailable. As for patents: this is a difficult matter. There are several US patents claiming different inventions relating to note detection and tuning systems, but there is some doubt about the value of these patents since many of their claims are trivial or non-original. VeriTuner, Inc. is already claiming infringement, but I am myself not concerned with the effects of US Patents since I do not live in the US -- any users or distributors (including SourceForge) located in the US may be -- we'll see how that turns out.
Posted By: filiptb Re: Free Piano Tuning Software for Windows - 03/21/13 04:34 PM
Small update: VeriTune has filed a DMCA takedown notice with Sourceforge, leading to the current unavailability of the project -- I will try to resolve this with SourceForge, but if unsuccessful, I will host it myself in another country, which will make it impervious to any future DMCA requests.

It is really bothersome that the DMCA gives rightsholders so much power in the US...
Posted By: DoelKees Re: Free Piano Tuning Software for Windows - 03/21/13 05:03 PM
Originally Posted by filiptb

I have found a possible solution to it but the mathematics are really complex -- I'll have to figure those out first. (For those who are interested and learned in the subject, I want to try windowing the frequency domain information around specific peaks/partials, then find the center of gravity of the peak to determine the actual frequency. Right now I just choose the frequency with the highest magnitude. I'm still figuring out how I should process the phase information.)

I think Pisarenko's method (or some variant) is what you want.

There is probably a US patent on scratching your head. Shame on Verituner.

Kees
Posted By: fishbulb Re: Free Piano Tuning Software for Windows - 03/21/13 05:50 PM
Filiptb - sorry to hear about your troubles with VeriTune.

I'm sure they weren't happy to see a substitute product that is free. And free is certainly a lot cheaper than the $900 that they charge (robbery if you ask me) so they are probably just afraid of a little competition.

I wonder if Veritune has any patents at all, or they just filed the DMCA complaint to try and stop a competitor. As the Apple vs. Microsoft case shows, you can't patent a software interface, you can only patent the code behind it. Unless you somehow got your hands on their actual source code and copied it, I don't really think Veritune has any kind legitimate complaint.

If Veritune can't compete with one guy writing his own open-source software project, what hope do they have in competing against Tunelab (which has a better product for 1/3 the cost, in my opinion) and Reyburn Cyber Tuner? I think their DMCA complaint speaks volumes about their insecurity regarding how good they think their software actually is, and what they think about their ability to compete in the marketplace.

Thanks for standing up to them and continuing the development of UltraTune. It has a lot of potential to be a great piece of software (actually it already is!).
Posted By: filiptb Re: Free Piano Tuning Software for Windows - 03/21/13 09:08 PM
Originally Posted by DoelKees

Kees

I think I found the solution:
http://www.ingelec.uns.edu.ar/pds2803/Materiales/Articulos/AnalisisFrecuencial/04205098.pdf
Noteworthy that not one tuning program like Verituner (or any of the others for that matter) has made it to "market," free or otherwise. I wonder whether it is that easy to smash the copyright?

Anyhow, Verituner is highly regarded--probably the most highly regarded piano-tuning software for a number of reasons, not least of which is the "spinner," which can be speed-adjusted in a manner that makes tuning a string after the initial attack (hammer blow) both flexible and at the same time very, very accurate.

Also, of course, VT permits complex, user-defined tuning styles.

Is it vulnerable? Susceptible of improvement? Absolutely! It is cumbersome, to say the least, by current software standards.
Posted By: DoelKees Re: Free Piano Tuning Software for Windows - 03/22/13 12:51 AM
Originally Posted by DoelKees

Kees

I think I found the solution:
http://www.ingelec.uns.edu.ar/pds2803/Materiales/Articulos/AnalisisFrecuencial/04205098.pdf

This paper describes a method in section 3.1. Resolution is something like 0.0001 cent in the absense of noise. It also extracts decay rates and amplitudes.

Kees
Hello filiptb,

I have 2 questions:

Ultimately, do you plan to make your UltraTune multi-partial?

Since you are going FOSS, any plans for a GNU/Linux version?

Thanks,
-Joe
Posted By: pianolive Re: Free Piano Tuning Software for Windows - 03/23/13 11:28 AM
I think that the EU has implemented the DMCA so it is the same within the EU as in the US.
I don't understand the problem though. If someone create something like a software or whatever, why should they upload it or parts of it for free? They might have spent a lot of time on their projects, and want to get paid for that, just like we all want to get paid for our work.
What does Verituner's DMCA takedown notice claim? Is the document publically available?
Patent search comes up with this:

Carpenter tuning patents

A couple of these are not related. They just happen to have the word "tuning" in the abstract.

Haven't waded through it all yet. Patent language is a bit convoluted (well, more than a bit).

-Mark
would prevent you from attaining a perfect tuning.

I find that pianos prevent me from attaining a perfect tning.....
Why would you want to tune your windows? wink
Posted By: Olek Re: Free Piano Tuning Software for Windows - 03/23/13 01:25 PM
Internet economic model (I mean Google, to simplify) is not adapted to traditional artisanal work as piano tuning, repair, etc.

I cannot see how I could tune your piano at distance, and being paid by Google ads.

Then I could do 5 "virtual" tunings a day, but the physical expense would remain. ( I heard that the Hollandese tuners syndicate had negotiated with piano shop owners so not to do more than 6 tunings a day !)

Posted By: Olek Re: Free Piano Tuning Software for Windows - 03/23/13 01:35 PM
xx wrong thread
Posted By: filiptb Re: Free Piano Tuning Software for Windows - 03/27/13 02:53 PM
From now on, UltraTune can be found at http://www.ultratune.nl.
Posted By: jmw Re: Free Piano Tuning Software for Windows - 03/27/13 03:40 PM
Will the program run on Mac, or Windows only?

Thanks,
jw
Posted By: filiptb Re: Free Piano Tuning Software for Windows - 03/27/13 03:56 PM
The program is currently Windows-only. I am not currently planning on creating a version for Mac. My goal is to make it on par with the commercial programs. When I accomplish that goal, I will try to go cross-platform (but probably starting with Android first).

Unfortunately I do not own a Mac which makes developing for that platform currently impossible.

Of course, since the program is open source, you are free to try and port the code to make a Mac version yourself.
Posted By: jmw Re: Free Piano Tuning Software for Windows - 03/28/13 12:47 PM
Thanks! I have a PC to put it on, but since my work laptop is a mac and much newer I thought I'd ask. Thanks for the suggestion on modifying the software- I'm doing well to just run the computer without hurting myself, so I better pass on any code work!

Cool thing you're doing here!
John
Posted By: Weiyan Re: Free Piano Tuning Software for Windows - 04/05/13 01:27 AM
OhZZZZ.
Microsoft.DiretX.DirectSound not found.
Originally Posted by Weiyan
OhZZZZ.

Hi Weiyan,

If you look at my first post, you will see that I updated Windows and then updated DirectX. After that, it started working.

-Joe
Posted By: LarryF Re: Free Piano Tuning Software for Windows - 04/05/13 02:40 PM

Today there is a product named EasyTune being given away from

http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/

The strange thing is that the screen shots of EasyTune look exactly like UltraTune and the PDF manuals of the two appear to be word for word the same. And EasyTune is also being sold from

http://www.slysoft.biz/easytune/

Edit: Another commenter at giveawayoftheday.com was able to prove that EasyTune was a recompile of the UltraTune source code with the program name and copyright changed. I'm surprised that giveawayoftheday.com did not withdraw EasyTune once that was shown.

Larry
Posted By: Weiyan Re: Free Piano Tuning Software for Windows - 04/06/13 09:31 PM
Originally Posted by Weiyan
OhZZZZ.

Hi Weiyan,

If you look at my first post, you will see that I updated Windows and then updated DirectX. After that, it started working.

-Joe

Thank you for the reply. I am using Windows 8. Checked for update. It reported no newer update. Win 8 come with DirectX 11.1. It may incompatible with win 8.

System.IO.FileNotFoundException: can not load compoment or document 'Microsoft.DirectX.DirectSound, Version=1.0.2902.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' or one of the dependencies. System can not find the document.
Document name: 'Microsoft.DirectX.DirectSound, Version=1.0.2902.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35'
at UltraTune.frmMain.frmMain_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnCreateControl()
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean fIgnoreVisible)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl()
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

Posted By: Hakki Re: Free Piano Tuning Software for Windows - 04/07/13 12:26 PM
There are still some missing dlls etc. You need to install the
DirectX End-User Runtime. It works with Windows 8 too.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35

Edit: And .NET Framework 3.5

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh506443.aspx
Thank you Hakki for the information re DirectX. This will install optional DirectX that is not included in most windows installations. I am running win7-32 and after web install UltraTune started working without any problems. Maybe filiptb can post this information on his website UltraTune.nl along with the binary and code. Seems as if there are a lot of people having this problem with ultratune. Thanks again.
Posted By: Weiyan Re: Free Piano Tuning Software for Windows - 04/08/13 12:07 AM
Hakki,

Thank you. It works after installing DirectX runtime.

My windows machine is a quad core desktop. I only test it with guitar and recorder. I like the minimal screen layout. If using the stripping bar of tunelab is more intuitive.

Posted By: filiptb Re: Free Piano Tuning Software for Windows - 04/08/13 02:46 PM
Originally Posted by LarryF

Today there is a product named EasyTune being given away from

http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/

The strange thing is that the screen shots of EasyTune look exactly like UltraTune and the PDF manuals of the two appear to be word for word the same. And EasyTune is also being sold from

http://www.slysoft.biz/easytune/

Edit: Another commenter at giveawayoftheday.com was able to prove that EasyTune was a recompile of the UltraTune source code with the program name and copyright changed. I'm surprised that giveawayoftheday.com did not withdraw EasyTune once that was shown.

Larry

Thank you for the heads-up. It is of course ridiculous that slysoft seems to be selling a derivative version of this free software -- which is seemingly a GPL violation. If the copyright has been changed, it is also a copyright violation.

I guess free software developers can't do much about this problem, though.

As for continued development: I have very little time in the next two weeks, so the next version will take some time to be released.
Posted By: trancera Re: Free Piano Tuning Software for Windows - 04/10/13 02:00 PM
Well you probably can do something about it.

1) Veritune would be pleased to hear about it, it really is worse than yours being free.

2) Someone must support obvious GPL / trademark infringements

3) Why did you open source the project, are there some parts that require it?

Do a 'whois' on the slysoft website, that ought to provide enough information for you to pass on.
I am loving it!! Ultra Tune rules!

Thank you so very much!!

-H.W.
www.ultratune.nl

webpage down?
Posted By: Allan W. Re: Free Piano Tuning Software for Windows - 05/29/13 06:56 PM
I'm also interested in this software. Does anyone have a copy of the install file or the zipped folder they can upload to mediafire.com?
Posted By: R_B Re: Free Piano Tuning Software for Windows - 05/29/13 08:14 PM
Originally Posted by Per Sundberg
www.ultratune.nl

webpage down?

It responds to pings, but doesn't seem to be otherwise "up".
I have been trying from time to time for 6 hours or so.

So, perhaps the owner can give it a wake-up call ?
Originally Posted by Allan W.
I'm also interested in this software. Does anyone have a copy of the install file or the zipped folder they can upload to mediafire.com?

Google drive link:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7RZlWNN3tUjZ0N3Y01ubEstUjg/edit?usp=sharing

/Per
Posted By: Allan W. Re: Free Piano Tuning Software for Windows - 05/29/13 11:20 PM
It looks really simplistic, which of course doesn't mean much, but has anyone here tried it out?

I'll give it a shot recording some notes and see what it reports about inharmonicity.
Thanks for sharing that Per!

Does anybody have the source code? Would be interested to see if I can maintain/improve the software, but I can't find the code anywhere.

Here's another mirror for UltraTune.v0.2.4.zip in case Per's link breaks:
https://mega.co.nz/#!9sAlQAoZ!OyFM3UVB9smPqNgv_i7JhmsXwRcNuhzO3v28UMIAF_E
Posted By: maserman1 Re: Free Piano Tuning Software for Windows - 01/18/14 10:17 AM
Had a look at Pers link but got a warning not to download exe file from security program. Is it safe to download??
Posted By: Mark R. Re: Free Piano Tuning Software for Windows - 06/23/14 07:38 AM
I'm resurrecting this topic because I have a question about Ultra Tune, or perhaps generally about ETDs.

Thanks also to Hakki, for the additional links.

I downloaded Ultra Tune 0.2.4 from Per's Google Drive link, and Direct X End-user Runtime updates from MS, in order to test my own aurally tuned temperaments in future. While testing the basic function of the program, I noticed that the data collected for a note (partials detected, their respective offsets, offset of the fundamental, inharmonicity bar indicating completeness of iH data recorded) disappear as soon as the note is no longer detected. Mind you, I tested on full unisons that were not freshly tuned, so I'm not surprised that note detection was somewhat iffy, and didn't last very long.

Still, once a note had been recognized, I would have liked to look at the recorded data at my leisure, but as soon as the note is no longer detected, all data disappear. Is this behaviour typical for ETDs?

The software only has two commands: background noise recording, and selection between stretched (piano) and non-stretched tuning. I can find no "hold" command that "locks" recorded data into the display.

The other interesting thing I tested, was the influence of temperature on my tuning fork. At room temperature, being about 18.5°C (65°F), it was almost a cent sharp. Gently warmed in my hand, it came very close. And warmed against my body, probably somewhere close to 32°C (90°F), it was a cent flat. So it seems to be calibrated for about 25°C (77°F).
Posted By: Weiyan Re: Free Piano Tuning Software for Windows - 06/23/14 08:41 AM
Verituner keep all ih data of notes in tuning file which can be viewed later. Tuning fork and the piano frequency usually have negative temperature coefficient This may due to expansion of material in higher temperature.
Posted By: Hakki Re: Free Piano Tuning Software for Windows - 06/23/14 03:12 PM
Mark,

If you remember, I had my piano tuned with Ultratune and posted the sound files for 3rds, 6ths, etc. awhile back. The link to that thread is below.

As you can see, the tuning was found unsatisfactory, because the interval beat rates was not progressive. Plus, while tuning we had a lot of trouble at the extreme bass and treble with having the notes detected by the software.

So it is as of this state seems a software in development stage with very limited and somewhat erroneous results.

But, then again, you can listen to the samples and decide yourself.

Ultratune tuning thread

The version of UltraTune that I have is v0.2.3. This is still a development version, not the finished product. In fact, it seems to be an early development version.

There is no way to correct for soundcard variations like in the other ETD software. You would want to be very careful before relying on U-T at this time, even for setting A4.

Posted By: Mark R. Re: Free Piano Tuning Software for Windows - 06/24/14 10:04 AM
Thanks to both of you.

Hakki, I remember that thread and have gone back to the samples. I'd forgotten that you'd used Ultra Tune. I agree that the temperament on those recordings is not satisfactory. The flat F3 sticks out like a sore thumb in most all of the tests. By the way, seeing that so many of the octaves and octave-fifths sound so narrow, do you remember whether your tuner switched the program to stretched (piano) mode? I'll probably use Ultra Tune to tune a temperament and then check the results aurally, just for kicks, before doing things the other way round.

Joe, thanks for the heads-up. I wasn't aware of this. At this stage, I'm more interested in how consistently (repeatable and precise) I can do things, not so much in absolute accuracy. [Edit: but, yes, if I really want to test my pitch and temperament, e.g. for scoring purposes, I should probably get reliable software, or ask a professional to evaluate one of my tunings.)
Posted By: Hakki Re: Free Piano Tuning Software for Windows - 06/24/14 10:27 AM
Mark, we were definitely sure that stretch mode was active. And we exactly followed the tuning procedure given in the readme file.
Posted By: Mark R. Re: Free Piano Tuning Software for Windows - 06/24/14 12:50 PM
Cool, then that's what I'll do too, probably.

By the way, I have a mismatched bichord on F3. I'm very interested to see how the program would handle each of the strings.
May I suggest tunelab97. It is a fully functional shareware version pre-tunlab pro. I use it for teaching aural tuning. Google search tunelab97.
Posted By: Mark R. Re: Free Piano Tuning Software for Windows - 06/24/14 03:14 PM
Thanks, Mark, I shall do so.
I just did a quick search for U T. I cannot find any new links.

I tried http://www.ultratune.nl/ as well. The web page does not load. A message appears:
Cannot Connect
Sorry, the page you requested could not be reached for some reason.

Sending you back in 5 seconds...

Either the U T project is abandoned, or access to the web-site is blocked here in the US.
Posted By: Hakki Re: Free Piano Tuning Software for Windows - 06/24/14 06:25 PM
I just did a quick search for U T. I cannot find any new links.

I tried http://www.ultratune.nl/ as well. The web page does not load. A message appears:
Cannot Connect
Sorry, the page you requested could not be reached for some reason.

Sending you back in 5 seconds...

Either the U T project is abandoned, or access to the web-site is blocked here in the US.

0.2.4 is still available at the below link

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7RZlWNN3tUjZ0N3Y01ubEstUjg/edit?usp=sharing
Thank you Hakki,

Just glancing over the manual, it appears thbat there is still no way to enter an offset for A4 to compensate for soundcard variations.
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums