Piano World Home Page
Greetings....next year, I would like to re-string my 1930 Weber Grand, it's a shorty, 4ft 8, original soundboard, bridges. What brand/type of treble string would you all recommend? I also plan to have the Wapin installed on the bridge. Will be using Ari Isaac's bass strings as well. The hammers on there now are a new set of Ari Isaac's Cadenza "S". Thanks!
GPM,
I'm sure that I am the least expert on this subject, but it seems to me that there is only one choice. Knowing nothing about the available wires themselves, I can see that the group is divided into two unequal halves: ASW(?) and metric. One is drawn to the thousandth of an inch(.001") and the other to a fortieth of a mm(.025mm) Close but they do deviate. In the treble, the deviation is a full 1/2 size. The standard conversion chart goes light that half size, but then in the heavier wires the deviation progresses to almost a full size light. This may be inconsequential, or other factors may predominate, but the american wire is the only one in .001"

Originally Posted by Grandpianoman
Greetings....next year, I would like to re-string my 1930 Weber Grand, it's a shorty, 4ft 8, original soundboard, bridges. What brand/type of treble string would you all recommend? I also plan to have the Wapin installed on the bridge. Will be using Ari Isaac's bass strings as well. The hammers on there now are a new set of Ari Isaac's Cadenza "S". Thanks!

I wouldn't worry too much about the plain wire. Mapes is fine, Roslau is fine (6 in one, half a dozen in the other). What you may wish to do, however, is have someone look at the scale and be certain it will give the biggest bang for the buck. With such a short length as well as the Wapin, rescaling might be very ideal. While everyone has their preference, I was very happy with the Profundo Bass strings Ari made for my 7' Baldwin F (with some scale modifications). Don't need a concert grand with such a strong low end.
I know you are an Ari fan, but for this piano, I recommend talking to either Ed McMorrow or Del about hybrid wire scaling, using Stephen Paulello plain wire (and bass strings with Paulello core).
Thanks....am always open to new and improved...:) Will see........
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums