1927 becker brothers piano

Posted by: coach1

1927 becker brothers piano - 04/23/02 10:32 AM

I am lined up to inherit a 1927 becker brothers grand piano. What is the best way to find out if it is worth the cost of moving it? A local tuner offered $200.00 for it but that doesn't sound right. It is black and he said he would have to tune it a couple of times because the pins slip but other than needing ivory on a couple of keys it is in great shape brass feet and all.
Posted by: SamLewisPiano.com

Re: 1927 becker brothers piano - 04/23/02 09:24 PM

Its hard to say if the tuner is doing you a favor, or doing himself one. As a matter of policy, I dont make offers like that to clients because of the obvious conflict of interest. Get a second opinion. Also, double check on the "pins slipping" thing. If they are truly slipping, all the tuning in the world wont make a difference. Double tunings are required when the piano is excessively flat, not having loose pins.........Sam
Posted by: srg25

Re: 1927 becker brothers piano - 05/13/02 06:57 AM

I was looking for a piano to practice on, and found a 1931 Schilling Baby Grand for free. All I had to do was move it from New Jersey to Long Island, for (the cheapest mover) $350. I have it in my basement now, and since the bridges, soundboard and strings seem to be in good shape, I'm going to try to learn piano repair and tuning in my spare time. What the hell, $200.00 is not that bad, assuming the piano is in good shape. Why not take a look at it first before deciding if you want it or not. That's what I did. So far I'm glad I have it here. I think I can repair it and sell it for what I paid to get it here plus a little bit for my sweat.
Stu