restring???

Posted by: lawrai007

restring??? - 11/05/01 12:55 PM

Could someone tell me the approximate cost to restring an upright? (My Yamaha U3, about 23 years old, has two broken strings that need to be replaced; and I was wondering if I should have the piano restrung , or to just have the two strings taken care of)? Thanks!
Posted by: reblder

Re: restring??? - 11/05/01 09:39 PM

Not worth restringing that entire piano. Just take care of the defective strings for now.

It's not old enough to warrant the cost which might be about $2,000.

Mark Mandell www.pianosource.com
Posted by: lawrai007

Re: restring??? - 11/07/01 01:23 PM

Thanks, Mark.....I'll speak with my piano tech! Larry
Posted by: Karsten

Re: restring??? - 11/27/01 05:16 PM

My piano, an EUTUPE U9, is very similar to (or equal to...) a Yamaha U3, and the tuner will soon be around.

Is there a way to prevent those 20 year old strings from breaking, such as spraying them or putting oil on them?

Karsten

[ November 27, 2001: Message edited by: Karsten ]

[ November 27, 2001: Message edited by: Karsten ]
Posted by: SamLewisPiano.com

Re: restring??? - 11/27/01 08:20 PM

You never put a spray or oil on strings. You are in more danger from the oil contaminating your pinblock than any benefit you might gain trying to avoid string breakage. If there is a lot of string rust, the tuner might try moving the string a bit flat prior to raising it, thereby breaking the rust loose (sometimes it helps, sometimes not). But if they are that rusty, you should look into controlling the humidity. Good luck........Sam

Re: restring??? - 11/27/01 08:49 PM

I would add that if there is enough rust causing frictional problems at the pressure or V bars, the tuner could brush a solution of liquid wrench and silicone but very sparingly at those points being careful to avoid any contact with the pinblock of bass string wrapping.

Mark Mandell www.pianosource.com

Re: restring??? - 11/27/01 08:50 PM

oops! I meant to say pinblock OR bass string wrapping.

Mark
Posted by: Karsten

Re: restring??? - 11/28/01 05:49 AM

Thanks a lot, I will follow your advice.

Karsten