buzzing boston gp163

Posted by: Matthew_dup1

buzzing boston gp163 - 05/14/03 11:53 PM

I have a buzzing on d above middle c and the d below. It comes from right under the keyboard.

any suggestions what might cause this?

Otherwise I love the piano.

thanks
Posted by: Mathilde

Re: buzzing boston gp163 - 05/15/03 10:38 AM

Disclaimer: IANA piano tech.

I had a funny clicking noise coming from my piano every time I played on three or four keys below Middle C, and when the piano tuner came, he removed a Bic pen from behind the fallboard, and the clicking noise went away. FWIW.

Next time the tuner comes, tell him about the buzzing noise. Junk falls into the piano, touches the moving parts, makes funny noises.
Posted by: Bob

Re: buzzing boston gp163 - 05/17/03 09:22 PM

Anything loose on or around a piano could buzz. Have someone play the offending notes while you touch all the cabinet parts. If the buzzing stops when you touch it, that area is suspect. Occasionally keybeds and key covers can buzz, but you may have a loose part in the action. A good tech can help you locate the part, or call the store if under warranty.
Posted by: JIMBOB

Re: buzzing boston gp163 - 05/20/03 10:50 PM

Paper clips are a big cause because they can fall through the keys. It might also be sympathetic vibration set off by a particular note. I removed two pieces of a broken emory board from a teachers piano last week. They where
about 2 octaves apart and fir together perfectly.
We suspect one of her students broke it and tried to hide the evidence when she was out of the room. I have a collection of objects retrieved from pianos including a 22 shell casing,
peanut shells, paper clips, hairpins, tiddly winks, wire, wire insulation, small nails, tinsel,emory boards, broken Christmas tree ornaments, a page from KonTiki, a Schaffer beer coaster, wedding photo, dead bee, pennies. Let us know what the ultimate cause was for your buzz.
Posted by: curry

Re: buzzing boston gp163 - 05/20/03 10:54 PM

Jimbo,a 22 casing,only in the south,and maybe Newark,NJ that is. \:D
Posted by: Matthew_dup1

Re: buzzing boston gp163 - 05/26/03 11:19 PM

It took some finding but I found that when the piano tuner/technician had taken all the covers off the Boston GP163 so you could see the action the buzzing was still evident from all the black notes in the octave below middle C.

I found when I held the long board that holds the keys in firmly, the buzzing stopped. The technician tightened the screws and that fixed it. I figure it was the washer from the screw nearest these notes that was the problem.

Incidentally, this, with a tuning cost $125 (Australian dollars - worth about 66c US as of today...). Other tuners charge $150-175.

So the Boston GP163 is sounding sweet as again!