PTG National

Posted by: lb

PTG National - 05/24/02 11:48 AM

Posted by: pianoseed

Re: PTG National - 05/24/02 11:07 PM

No. Too far and too expensive. I have been to two and they are really worthwhile. I live in Roswell NM
Posted by: PNO2NER

Re: PTG National - 05/26/02 07:09 AM

Hi LB: Yes, I'll be there. I can understand why some folks who live a distance away might not attend, but if you are in Indiana it should be an easy drive to Chicago. I've attended 6 and came away from each with a wealth of new knowledge, new friends, and new tools, all of which made me a better technician. Nowhere else can one obtain so much diverse piano information in such a short time. It is well worth the time and money, and we should consider ourselves fortunate that there IS a convention of this type available. By the way, yesterday was the deadline for early registrations, but I understand if you talk nicely to the staff at the national office, they'll let you under the wire. PNO2NER......
Posted by: Brian Lawson, RPT

Re: PTG National - 05/28/02 03:00 PM

I live in South Africa - for me that is "too far and too expensive"

For anyone who lives in the US going to a convention is a totally justifiable expense.

Re: PTG National - 05/29/02 08:20 AM

Posted by: PNO2NER

Re: PTG National - 05/30/02 07:24 AM

Hi Again: I've signed up for the polyester refinishing all day seminar, I guess I was the last one they could take. I suspect most will be pretty full by now, but it wouldn't hurt to try. They are all good and worth your time. I'll be teaching 2 classes on keytop replacement and a mini-tech on repairing broken shanks, look me up...PNO2NER (Mike Kurta)

Re: PTG National - 07/02/02 09:21 AM

Posted by: Alex Hernandez

Re: PTG National - 07/02/02 02:47 PM

I enjoyed the convention very much. I saw so many old friends and attended some great classes it was very memorable.

But of course I always spend to much on tools. I was wondering what you folks thought of the pianos there? I saw and played some truly impressive instruments.
Posted by: Palindrome

Re: PTG National - 07/02/02 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex Hernández:
...I saw and played some truly impressive instruments.[/b]
Don't hold out on us. Which ones? (Or post to piano forum.)

Re: PTG National - 07/02/02 11:19 PM

Posted by: Jolly

Re: PTG National - 07/03/02 05:48 PM

Hi Folks,

Not my usual baliwick, but Alex's suggestion about the PTG intrigued me.

NAMM does not allow the general public in, is the PTG the same way?

Re: PTG National - 07/03/02 10:43 PM

Re: PTG National - 07/05/02 11:43 AM

Thank you, Ib. \:\)
Posted by: JohnC

Re: PTG National - 07/07/02 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jolly:
Hi Folks,

Not my usual baliwick, but Alex's suggestion about the PTG intrigued me.

NAMM does not allow the general public in, is the PTG the same way?[/b]
Jolly,

While it is true that NAMM doesn't let the general public in, I've been to a couple of them. This year, I ran into someone I work with who also "doesn't belong". There are a lot of people there who manage to find a way in. If you want to go, ask people in the biz.

But if the NAMM police are monitoring this board......just kidding! ;\)

Re: PTG National - 07/10/02 04:15 PM

Thank you for the suggestion, JohnC. I find trade shows to be an absolute gold mine of information.

Whenever possible I try to attend the SHOT show (pertains to my hobby/business), and also the AACC - American Association of Clinical Chemists. I can often find out more in a couple of days, than I would normally run across in a year. I would suppose NAMM would be the same way...if I could keep my son away from the drums...
Posted by: JohnC

Re: PTG National - 07/10/02 04:54 PM

I enjoy wandering around, trying out the pianos, seeing who might be there, and sometimes talking with industry insiders. It makes for an enjoyable day.

Of course it's much easier when you live 20 minutes from the show! \:D