Piano World Home Page
Posted By: victor kam Yamaha grands with three pedals - 02/11/09 03:20 PM
When did Yamaha grands started to have three pedals, or rather when did they transition from two to three? Thanks
All the Yamaha grands I have seen here in Vancouver have 3 pedals........early ones too, some from 1964.......

The only grands I have seen with two pedals have been the off-shore stuff coming in here. The grey market instruments.

Dan Silverwood
www.silverwoodpianos.com
Posted By: pianobroker Re: Yamaha grands with three pedals - 02/13/09 09:46 AM
In that you are in Malaysia Yamaha grands made that transition to 3 pedals in the mid eighties. I'm making that assumption in assessing the hundreds of preowned gray market grands that I haved dealt with over the years.The US and probably Canada are the only venues whereas 3 pedals was the norm though I have had very early non gray market Yamaha grands and uprts that had two pedals. Even in Europe and South America I have seen 2 pedal Yamaha grands moreso.
Posted By: athomik Re: Yamaha grands with three pedals - 02/13/09 10:53 AM
One little snippet I found: the G2C(F)got 3 pedals in November 1966, from serial number 551782 onwards. Not sure about model further up the range.
Posted By: victor kam Re: Yamaha grands with three pedals - 02/13/09 11:53 AM
pianobroker,
Many gray market grand pianos from Japan here in Malaysia has only 2 pedals. My technician told me that they moved into 3 pedals in the 80s, but somehow my 1974 C7 (originally sold in Singapore) and 1971 CS from Japan has got 3 pedals.

athomik,
Some G2s i have seen originally sold here from the early 80s has two pedals.
Posted By: athomik Re: Yamaha grands with three pedals - 02/13/09 12:20 PM
Bet none of them were serial number 551782 laugh . It could be market specific. There are still differences between markets today (e.g. the US have bass sustain, the Europeans have sostenuto)
Posted By: Keith Roberts Re: Yamaha grands with three pedals - 02/13/09 02:00 PM
Look again. It's a C7. How many concert grands would you find without sostenuto?
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums